Help with column to floor shift

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 1bigguppy, Jul 23, 2005.

1. 1bigguppy

1bigguppy Member

I would like to put in a floor shift in my 60 shortbed. I will be using a 350 engine with either a 350 or 400 tranny. I know some of you will reccommend an overdrive but that's another question. I need to know about fit in the cab. I am open as to what kind of shifter but I am leaning towards a Lokar at this point. Currently I have a column shifter from an old caddy. Do I need to find an old 4 speed floor pan to use? Mine was originally a 3 speed on the column. Will a lokar type shifter work with a bench seat or will I have to switch to buckets? Have any of you done this and how much trouble or problems am I going to run into. My only desire is for looks with the Lokar, I know B&M makes a shifter more for speed, but I'mm more into the cruiser aspect with speed as needed when the wild hairs sprout. What info can you help me?
    Thanks.:D

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

The Lokar trans mount shifter should work fine. It is adjustable so you won't have trouble clearing the bench seat. I have one in mine on a 700R4 and in the most forward mounting position it actually comes up through the old hole in the floor that the Granny 4 speed shifter used to use. I used the nostalgia shifter.
    There are a few pics here
    http://home.comcast.net/~dennisvalentine/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html

I don't know if the small hump will clear the trans, if it does it will be tight. Mine was converted to a big hump by the previous owner. He neglected to install the necessary sheetmetal that span the gap between the bottom of the firewall and the front of the trans hump cover. I picked that piece up at a bone yard and pop riveted it in and used seam sealing tape between the joint. No heat or water seeps through into the cab now.

DVal

3. chris

chris Member

i would switch to buckets and put the lokar 4 speed shifter

4. JOHN66

JOHN66 Member

HEY MAN ITS EASY YOU DONT HAVE TO CHANGE A THING. I HAVE A 66 C-10 AND IT WAS A COLUMN SHIFT AND I BOUGHT A LOKAR FLOOR MOUNT SHIFTER TO REPLACE IT.ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CUT THE HOLE IN THE FLOOR, YOU HAVE A SMALL HUMP BUT IT WILL STILL FIT BECAUSE LOKAR'S FLOOR MOUNT YOU CAN MOUNT IT ABOVE THE FLOOR. AND IT COMES WITH ALL THE LINKAGES, ALL YOU HAVE TO BUY IS THE BOOT TO COVER IT. IT IS EASY IT TOOK ME ABOUT ONE HOUR TO INSTALL IT.ANY PROBLEMS E-MAIL ME AND I WILL SEND YOU PICKS TO HELP. GOOD LUCK.