Here is a video of my generator to alternator swap

Discussion in 'Electrical Shop' started by mikebte, May 27, 2012.

1. mikebte

mikebte Member

Here is a video of my generator to alternator swap. Check it out. May help other folks.

http://youtu.be/II-WP6sBCXU

This is a video of all the stuff I needed for alternator upgrade so I had to make a video to show you all what I got.

http://youtu.be/hgM0XiI_Dy4

enjoy

The Conversion with an Alternator

An alternator conversion is slightly more complicated than generator conversion, but it's still pretty straightforward. (Again, all parts are available from Patrick's Antique Cars)
    1.Disconnect the battery.
    2.Remove the 6V generator.
    3.Mount the Alternator. Brackets are available from various manufacturers.
    4.Use a "DA Plug" which allows you to eliminate the old voltage regulator. Attach the short wire to the alternator post. Attach the long DA wire to the ignition switch so it is powered only when the switch is on.
    5.Remove the voltage regulator, and connect the BATT wire to the wire that previously ran to the generator. Attach this to the alternator post (along with the short DA wire).
    6.Replace the 6V Coil with a 12V Coil. Use a coil with an internal resistor or install an ignition ballast resistor in the wire between the coil and the ignition switch.
    7.Replace all light bulbs. Don't forget dash/instrument lights and turn signal indicators.
    8.Replace all flashers and relays.
    9.Install the above listed Gas Gauge Voltage Reducer on the rear of the gauge.
    10.Install the above listed Accessory Voltage Reducer in the wire between the heater and heater switch.
    11.Make sure all other accessories are 12-volt ready.
    12.Reconnect the Battery and you're done!

This information is believed but not garaunteed to be correct.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  2. Raz76

Raz76 Member

Awesome videos, thanks for posting. My Generator is done so your video came just in time. Will it work on a 1950 GMC though?

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  3. mikebte

mikebte Member

Well im glade i could help. I was hopping to help other folks who may be on the fence about doing the job.

Good luck and enjoy