Hey Nate!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bill Hanlon, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I looked through many entries you posted about using Citric Acid as a cooling system cleaner back to around 2000.

Some just said to use Citric Acid.

Some said to use 1 pound of citric acid per gallon of distilled water, while others said 1 pound of citric acid per 3 gallons of water.

More than one, but not the majority, said to use Shout before using the citric acid, but none said what proportion of Shout to water.

And one said to neutralize the system with baking soda after using citric acid.

What is your current magic formula for a clean cooling system? I haven't serviced the cooling system in my '52 GMC 228 in six years and I'd like to use your method.

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Got a response from Nate via e-mail.

Hi Bill ;

I used maybe a coffee cupfull .

Then I drove it to work and back, drained and refilled it, drove to work again and looked ~ no oily things floating on the surface so I figured I was good to go forward to the citric acid mix .

DO NOT 'pull a Nate' and try to use Tide or other foaming soap, nor should you try to add the citric acid to the radiator and have it mix inside, I got stuck by the side of the road on crutches taking the radiator and cooling system apart to slowly get the clog of solid white citric acid mix out on a blazing hot Spring day......

I'm lucky I didn't fry the engine when the radiator plugged instead of mixing...

-Nate

3. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Late to the party here, it works, try it, if you don't rush it you'll be amazed at how easy this is and how well it works .