Highway RPM's with original Powerglide transmission?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by noslzzp, Jul 11, 2000.

1. noslzzp

noslzzp Member

I have just bought a '66 C10 8FT Fleetside with the 2-speed PowerGlide (from this point forward "Evilene"). The transmission is being rebuit right now, but I drove Evilene to the shop. Can someone tell me roughly what the RPM range of the engine (stock 283, bored .030) turning this transmission at 60-65MPH? I don't have a tachometer and am curious to know. I race MX (really hare scrambles) and some the trips I take are long. I was thinking about replacing the rear-end with higher-gearing to make the truck more suitable for highway driving. The estimates for doing such a job changed my mind.. And I think replacing the PowerGlide seems fundamentally wrong.. ;)

Any info in this area would be great.

-Pawnslaught
    http://www.noslzzp.com/

2. Craig

Craig Guest

Your truck could have a 3.73 to a 4.11 rear axle ratio.That makes 60mph pretty high.Its probably running about 3000 rpms at 60.You can swap out the ring and pinion for one that is a little higher gear ratio.You will need a 3.23 to a 3.55.The 3.55's will help off the line acceralation with 2spd transmission.Check out these suppliers.They will have everything you need and also be able suggest someone locally that could do the gear change.
    www.richmond.com
    www.ring-pinion

3. heat treat

heat treat Member

I have also just purchased a '66 long bed except mine's a stepside. I have a 283 Powerglide like you have. I've only driven my truck around town and I don't have a tach either, but it sure seemed like the engine was turning high REV's at cruising speed (60 mph).
    The body on my truck is in fine shape, but the steering, brakes, engine and transmission all need work. I'm going to be rebuilding it, so everything will get done in time.
    How is the steering on your truck. Does it feel like there's a lot of free play in the steering wheel? People have told me the idler arm might be worn or the bushing in the steering column might need replacing.
    How about keeping in contact with me so we can discuss our trucks. My name is Gary Klein and my email is gklein@mindspring.com

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-00 AT 08:51 AM (CST)[/font][p][font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-00 AT 08:49 AM (CST)[/font]

Hi Gary. I bought a 64 panel last year that had the same steering problems. Could NOT keep it in a straight line!
    I've just rebuilt the whole shebang. Great time to think about a disk brake and power steeting conversion.

FYI fill out your profile on this forum, (click on the head next to my name above) If you'd like to see what I did over the winter.

5. noslzzp

noslzzp Member

> How is the steering on your truck. Does it feel like there's a lot of
    >free play in the steering wheel? People have told me the idler arm might be
    >worn or the bushing in the steering column might need replacing.

My steering seems to be ok although I've recieved the same suggestions about replacing the idler arm.

> How about keeping in contact with me so we can discuss our trucks.

Sure. I'll frequent this forum every now and then. Or you can reach me directly at pawnslaught@noslzzp.com

6. hillbilly

hillbilly Member

i have a 63 with 283 and 2 speed powerglide, my tach says i run about 3000 at 55 and 3500 at 65-70

7. Craig

Craig Guest

Hillbilly,you have a 3.91 gear ratio.That is a common ratio for that truck.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com