How can I go faster in my '64 C20?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Red64, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Red64

Red64 Member

Hello all:

I inherited my grandfathers '64 Chevy C20 pickup a few years back. I love this truck...I learned to drive in this truck on the dusty roads of Oklahoma. I've since brought the truck back to PA.
    I would like to keep this truck as original as possible but I would like to make it more useful (faster) for use on paved highways.

The truck is a '64 C20 with the 4 speed manual transmission...it has the straight six 292. I only use 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears as 1st is a creeper. I have no idea about the rear...other than I think it has 12 bolts and it has coil springs?

I'm not real knowledgable as far as the drivetrain...can someone point me in the right direction as to how to make this truck more drivable? I've inquired at a local speed shop about overdrives...he said there is no such thing available. He said to swamp out the entire rear...don't like that idea....not original. Can I change the gears in the rear to achive higher speeds?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit Greg!

Hmmmm, since you're stuck on originality, you COULD look for highway gears, and try that.

Orrrr, you Could swap the tranny, to another original-type, with higher gearing, especially in 1st gear.

JMO...find out what rear gears you have, as well as transmission ratios...BEFORE you spend $$$/change anything.

estimate the size/diameter of the tires you'll be running, then search the 'net for calculations of what rpm/speedrange that you'll be driving in.

for the ILLUSION of higher speed, you could try swapping your speedometer, to a european one(with kilometers).

good luck, keep us posted.

Myron

3. 64K10

64K10 Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-02 AT 04:34 PM (CST)]Hey Red64,

Take a look at the left rear axle tube (left side when viewed from rear of truck), along this tube you should find a "stamping"... something like this: MA 10 23
    You many need to take a piece of sandpaper to the tube before you see it.
    MA, MD are 4:11 ratios, MH, MJ, and MK are 4:57's, I think they even had a 5.xx ratio for the 3/4T trucks.
    They may be some vendors that can supply you with some higher ratios for the stock diff., maybe in the area of 3:36 or 3:73. Randy's Ring and Pinion come to mind (never done business with them though).
    http://www.ring-pinion.com/home.shtml

That's supposed to be: 3 : 73, but the colon and 7 turn into a smilie :7

Good luck,