How do you chop top?

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by dhughins, Aug 11, 2004.

1. dhughins

dhughins Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-04 AT 06:42 PM (CST)]Anyone have pics or can tell me where to chop top? I have a 59 stepside and want to cut about 3 inches out for a pro-street look. Have ya'll seen rudy hindelangs 59 in streettrucks or classic trucks magazines? It's bright yellow with a 540ci, 1200HP. Awesome! i also want to weld my headlight trim rings in but dont know how to do it.Like this frontend. The hole front appears as one piece.This truck has about a 3 inch chop, but also other extensive work. I want mine as close to this as possible. Not yellow though. On other pics i've seen of it i can tell he chopped the back below the back window and above the bodyline that is there. I dont understand where to cut in front.

http://iserver.chevyduty.com/dcforum/User_files/411aaee3071cb653.jpg

Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/411aaee3071cb653.jpg

2. p51mustang

p51mustang Member

Did get a chance to see Rudys truck at the Goodguys meet in
    scottsdale a while back,My 12 year old Son was with me and all
    he kept saying was WOW! He has done allot of body mods to it.
    If that is the look you are going for than I would say maybe look
    to someone experienced in custom work and have it done,you could really get in over your head on something like that if it's your
    first time in chopping a top. Got allot of respect for the ones
    that really want to do it themselves though,nothing better than saying you did it yourself, pretty sure there are books and videos
    out there on chopping tops if that is what you are after.
    Just might try a shop that is able and ask if you may help and tell
    them you want to learn,the guy just might take you under his wing
    or worse charge you twice the amount to help!!! :)
    Good luck and show us some picture's if you can
    Allen

3. johnnybee

johnnybee Member

a guy at work chopped his 59. which looked good. but ran into problems trying to fit the front window. or find one that would fit. he was quoted 1500 to 1800 bucks for a custom plastic window. he is stalled on this area. must be a better way . john:D

4. ssgduck

ssgduck Member

I have a 55-59 cab that is chopped 3-5 inches,and is setup for suicide doors-right door is mounted and fuctionable,left door is missing but hinges and latch are mounted in cab-you can fab left door from right door design, has had floor and firewall replaced, would be a good start for a choptop and you wouldn't have to cut up a good cab to do it, can send pictures if interested. price for the cab is $500.00 and you will still be able to drive your's while working on the chop. anyone interested can email me at ssgduck@msn.com , i live in missouri by springfield.