How to assemble doors

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Door assembly.

Tape all surfaces to prevent scratches.
    DSCN0249.jpg

This is where the rubber window wiper goes. It is usually dried and hard as a rock and broken off. I find that you have to bend up the tab in the middle, then with a flat blade screwdriver, break the rubber into pieces, then feed it out of the channel.
    DSCN0240.jpg

Cleaned out. now lube the track.
    DSCN0244.jpg

Feed one end,
    DSCN0245.jpg

Then the other..
    DSCN0246.jpg

And lock the tab by bending down.
    DSCN0247.jpg

I find that the hinges often need some extra adjustment room. I use a die grinder to elongate the holes.
    DSCN0251.jpg

Then install in the door.
    DSCN0248.jpg

Have someone hold the door and run in the bolts, just snug them up. The bolts in the cowl panel are for the up and down adjustment, the holes in the door are for the front to back adjustment. Give the door a gentle swing to see where it lines up, then make small adjustments till she lines up. The driver's door closed with only 2 adjustments, the passenger door required LOTS of swearing.

Now install the latch...
    DSCN0269.jpg

And the striker.
    DSCN0273.jpg

The striker has up and down adjustment and some front to back. Get it to the best position to get the door to close and latch easily.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Install the door handles from the backside, remember to use rubber gaskets.
    DSCN0270.jpg

And install the handle protector.
    DSCN0271.jpg

And here we are for the time being.
    DSCN0278.jpg

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oops

Russ forgot to mention :

There are shims between the latch striker plate and the door frame . it's critical to use equal amounts of shims top and bottom .

In my limited experience , the screws used to hold he striker plate , are critical .

When Russ says ' some swearing ' is normal on the passenger side door fitment , he's being *very* kind/modest indeed .

Don't let it throw you , just adjust it so it closes well without slamming the gaps were wrong when your AD was made 50 - odd years ago .

If you have a good color printer , I highly suggest printing out all of Russ' various Tech Articles and binding them in a loose leaf format , use
    " Sheet Protectors " on every page too , this way they'll last and you can scribble notes as you go along .

The info Russ is providing you here , it's priceless ~ I hope you all realize what a gift he's given you .

I hope his hands are not all broken and smashed like mine are but they prolly are .

Am I the only one who noticed this rig has AC ? .

BTW Russ : izzat you wearing a beard & glasses in one picture ? suspicious minds need to know .

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    Chiro likes this.
  4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Nah, that was one of the body shop guys.

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Glass install...

Slide the felt channel in first,

Start at the vent window frame and work your way back and down into the door. There is plenty of room to loose any excess down inside the door. Don't Glue the upper track first, as it will need to be loose when you install the vent window. When making the curve at the top corner, use something to sit inside the felt to keep it from collapsing when you bend it.

Finally got the passenger side window in. First you must install the regulator in the door. Roll it all the way up. Now slide the window in the door from the top, engaging the regulator in the bottom track...
    DSCN6961.jpg

Noe roll the regulator down all the way and slide the vent window assembly in. I find that you need to slide an arm in the bottom access hole in the door to manipulate the window into the felt window track of the vent assembly. Once they are aligned, bolt the frame in with these 2 bolts at the top of the door...
    DSCN6962.jpg

Next the 3 small screws at the front of the vent frame...
    DSCN6964.jpg

Now work the window up and down a few times and then install the garnish moldings. If you are adapting stainless, you will have to trim around the lower screws so that it will sit correctly. Don't forget the locating bolt at the very bottom of the vent frame.....It is a P.I.T.A!
    DSCN6965.jpg

And WooHoo! the window is in!
    DSCN6968.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

When gluing on the anti rattle strips in the windows, put on the adhesive then brace against the window with a few pieces of cardboard and let it sit. They were origionally put on with staples, but I find that the holes never line up and drilling stainless with that small a bit is hopeless.
    DSCN6986.jpg