How to change out the origional ignition lock cylinder

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Aug 26, 2010.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

After I figured it out, I realized that you don't have to remove the ignition switch. But anyway, Put your key into the lock...
    DSCN8162.jpg

See that little hole? Rotate the key as far as it will go clockwise, then push it in with a pick...
    DSCN8163.jpg

This little pin is what you are triggering. It keeps the cylinder from rotating all the way. When the pin is pushed in, the lock will rotate a little further and pull right out.
    DSCN8165.jpg

Insert the new lock cylinder in with the key, turn back to "off" and remove the key.

DSCN8166.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

locksmith

After this i can bring it to a locksmith and have him rekey to fit the original i had from my first truck?

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I bought the matched key set from C.P. and swapped them all out. The same key blank fits all the locks on these trucks, so a good, old school locksmith should be able to re key them together.

4. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

How about removal if you don't have a key

Any tips on removal if you don't have a key? other than take it to a locksmith.:D

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

If you are a lucky person, pull the one from the door and take it to the locksmith. The key code is visible and the locksmith can cut a key from the code. Now comes the part that depends on luck. If you are lucky, some previous owner has not changed the door lock or the ignition lock.

6. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

If I were lucky

BIll thanks for the work around on the ignition switch. Unfortunately I don't have an original door lock to take out. I bought a set of locks and a switch but need to get the old one out of the holder. I guess I'll just buy a new holder and trash the old one. Indeed if I had a key I'd be lucky!!:)

7. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

No, No, No

No, No, No...I didn't hear that...did I?

Working with these old trucks all these years, I have long learned that you never, ever, until 10+ years later, do you trash stuff that you have, that you take off your truck because at the time it was easier. It will come in handy or someone else could use it...and at times they may offer to give you the ol'lady(rocking chair, not your girl!)if they have to do it. At least now with the internet you can offer stuff up.

Of course now having said that, there are times or maybe all the time...the
    10+ years ends up being more like 20 or 30 or 40 years! Oh, well. About a year ago I was up the creek trying to find an original shell for the front mount, but all the places were only selling the oil ddddddrip thingy. I could not find one anywhere...then my son bought a cab for his truck....Wala!!!! The only thing thrown on the floor of the cab was that specific shell mount! When I first got my truck I think I might of thrown one of those things out when I was cleaning.

Oh, try all your old chevy+ keys in those old locks...you would be shocked sometimes...I remember I had an old 64 Chevy Wagon way back when...and its key opened half of the chevys in town. It was not rocket science back then...it just worked!

10+

rod

8. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

OKAY, I Get It

My Bad. . . I'll save it for posterity and garage clutter:D

Will try the old key thihg though. My Dad saved a couple hundred old ones and maybe theres a chevy key in there somewhere.:)

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Keys

Yes , just that ~ try every old GM key in the house , wiggle them gently and it should work .

Failing that , go to Thrift and Junk Stores as they always have loads of keys few want....

10. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Keyed UP!

I tried all the keys I had and one from a buddies truck. no luck. Have to check those thrift stores for keys and if no help off to the lock smith I guess.

11. ccharr

ccharr Member

The Chevy keys for many years work in the locks, the ignition key to my old 65 C20 worked for the door key on my 48. The china clipper ignition keys are different and the regular keys will not fit it, do not switch if you can get a key cut.

12. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

Try, Try Again!!!

Try, Try Again!!! If suddenly it pops open you'll have your AAAHHHAA moment of the year!

rod

13. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

My recent experience with the repop ignition switches is that the key and the lock it goes into is thinner than the stock keys and locks. I made a stock key duplicate of the china clipper key only to find that it was too thick to be inserted in the lock. I cut about seven thousandths off of each side of the business end of the key with a flat file in order to get it to slide into the china clipper lock.

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

? What ?

Cheapo Chinese repop parts ? .

Say it isn't so ! :p .

15. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Still Looking

Still looking but haven't found a key that will work yet. But look on the bright side. I still have a couple years work on ole Betsy so I have time to come across that "one and only key" that is out there somewhere just waiting on me to stumble on to it. :D

16. Tubby

Tubby Member

17. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Marty ?

Hey Tubby,

Is 3100powerglide Marty? The link takes me to a message page?:confused:

18. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

My Bad

I didn't scroll all the way to the top of the screen. I see his PM link and I sent him one. Thanks TUbby

19. ccharr

ccharr Member

You can get a hold of Joe MT also, may get you some keys