how to use that Dwell meter to set the points BANG ON .

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Zig

Zig Member

This thread is waiting for input from Nate. :D
    Hey, he promised...

Thanks!

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

............... Nate? ....................

3. coilover

coilover Member

Put the red lead (+) on the DISTRIBUTOR side of the coil, and the other clip to a good ground. Set dwell meter to "6 cylinder", remove cap and rotor, with the switch Off have someone step on the starter and read the amount of dwell. Closing the point gap increases dwell. Have the points screw(s) just snug so you can adjust while engine is spinning over---just takes a couple seconds to set. Tighten screw and give final check. A dwell meter is not polarity sensitive, it just measures coil saturation amount in degrees. Setting with a meter will give the right saturation time even if the lobes and bushings are worn. Checking with a feeler gauge after setting with a meter will sometimes scare you but believe the meter.

4. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Evan! Some of us out there just don't know this~ Like ME!
    Thank you.
    I might get this stuff yet. ;)

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Also ;

I always like to remove the spark plugs .

Remember : you adjust the gap as the engine is cranking , to 33? , the *perfect* dwell for 6 cylinder engines , all of them .

Once it's all buttoned back up and you're running the engine for ball on pointer ignition timing , rev. the engine from idle to 2,500 RPM's with the meter set to dwell ~ if it varies more than 2? the dizzy is kaputi ~ each degree of dwell change affects the ignition timing by 3 degrees and that's a LOT .

Either swap in a Pertronix Ignitor or replace the bushings in the dizzy , I *think* Deve's most excellent tech page covers this .

Don't forget to look at the spark plugs side ways ~ round shoulders on the center electrode means worn out ~ don't clean / file them , scrap them as they're cheap .

Use copper cored NGK's if you can't find AC's , number 45 I *think* .

Sorry for the late reply , I've been busy , took the turbocharger in my old mercedes to bits Thursday and spent hours cleaning and prepping , this morning SWMBO told me she felt lonely so I zoomed to her place and took her out for the day .

Back to old Mercedes' to - morrow :) .

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Obtw :

You WILL ' get this stuff ' then the fun begins ~ you can make friends and impress the hell out of strangers by easily making their old 6 Bangers run strong again , most just assume they're wheezy old klunkers .

Make beer money too :D .