Hydroboost vs. Vacuum power brakes.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 50 Chevy LS3, Nov 2, 2014.

1. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Since you guys are a great source of information, here is my question. What are the benefits of each type of power brakes? I know that turbo-charged or supercharged engines lack vacuum, so they need a different system. Will a traditional vacuum power brake system with the small booster and under-floor mounting work OK with the modern LS , non- turbo'ed engine? I'm trying to set-up the frame and add full-length boxing, so, I need to plan now.
    I need to know opinions and WHY you think this way or that. Also, any pics of installs would help.
    I researched this enough to know Nate hates it, (and his reasons) and also that Mike likes it and why.
    The plan is for four wheel disc brakes, and probably 12-13" rotors.

2. coilover

coilover Member

Our rule of thumb is over 15" of vacuum go with the vacuum booster (easier to plum in--one vacuum line) and under 15" use the hydroboost. The hydroboost unit is more compact. We have had several cammed up engines that would have power brakes above 2000 or so RPM and then lose the boost when the R's dropped. Strange feeling when about 30mph you lose the boost and have to really stand on the pedal.

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks, Evan, I was betting you would be one to know and respond. I read this morning that a 4 wheel disc system needed 22" vacuum to be safe.
    My next question would be, does GM use hydroboost on the new SS Camaros? The only modern V-8 I have to look at is my 2001 Chevy 2500HD.

4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Oh yeah, that 22" vacuum to be safe is when using the small boosters that fit under the floorboard. Does that make sense?
    Next question, has anyone plumbed up a hydroboost with mustang II rack & pinion?

5. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Hi Steve,

i do have hydroboost in my truck, look at my posts, if you like....

6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

THANKS!, Elky, that is exactly what I was looking for. I read through your front disc brake thread and it was very helpful. You even used the original master cylinder bracket. Now I think I can plan the frame boxing plates and leave a cutout for the brake bracket.
    Now if only someone can show me how to plumb the lines with a GM power steering pump and mustang rack & pinion, I'll have it made.
    THANKS AGAIN!

7. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Steve, you?re welcome;)

I?m not 100% sure on this, but i think, that there is something with the pressure
    on the mustang steering box...

As far as i remember, GM uses more pressure on their steering opposed to Ford?

You prolly can Google this; i have done this also, before i went with hydroboost, since i did not have any experience with this setup. But i did like it, since it does fit in the stock location, even with the hydramatic tranny i have.

8. coilover

coilover Member

GM uses about 1100 psi vs Fords 850 psi but $20 will buy you a reducer from Speedway to use a GM pump on a Ford r&p. Without the reducer you will have super sensitive go-cart quick steering.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

GM Power Steering

Also known World Wide as " Saginaw Squish Steering " :D .

I love it .