I need a new rearend!

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 1bigguppy, Jun 1, 2005.

1. 1bigguppy

1bigguppy Member

I have a 60 chevy step that I am taking down to the frame to make a cruiser for my sons and I. We have acquired a 72 c 10 for the front end and other parts. It did not have a posi rear end which I would like to have and it has leaf springs. I would like to find a decent 12 bolt posi rear end that I can just bolt up to the arms in my 60. What years will bolt up? Will 73's and later work? I would like to find a junkyard jewel and your help in narrowing the search will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. zenish

zenish Member

1960.1961.1962.nothing else.

3. 1bigguppy

1bigguppy Member

I was under the impression that gm truck rear ends up through 72 would bolt up with only minor adjustments. Am I wrong? If I want a 12 bolt posi, whats the best way to go?

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-05 AT 04:47 PM (CST)]The 67-72 rears will fit. They are also about 3/4 inch wider on each side. If you are pushing the envolope on tire clearance now, you will need to change the rear wheel backspacing in order for it to be a done deal.

I just re-read your first post and saw this.
    " It did not have a posi rear end which I would like to have and it has leaf springs "

That's not a 72 Chevy rear. It may be a GMC from a 72.
    99% of the Chevys from that era used coil rear springs and trailing arms. GMCs used leaf springs.

Does the truck you are working on have trailing arms or leaf springs?

DVal

5. drabo

drabo Member

If you have trailering arms try looking here.
    http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx

6. zenish

zenish Member

the perches are farther out on a 60-62.if you want i can measure mine tomorrow to be sure.

7. 1bigguppy

1bigguppy Member

Dennis the truck I have (60 C-10 short bed stepside) has trailing arms. The 72 parts truck was listed as a heavy half with leaf springs. Is there any advantage to having trailing arms or should I swap out the spring brackets and springs from the 72 and do away with the trailing arms? We are aiming towards more of a cruiser than a restoration, but we do want to take it down to the frame. On a side note my 10 year old was so excited to take parts off the 72 today. I was under the truck and when I scooted out he was holding the lower hood latch in one hand and the ratchet in the other hand like he had caught some prize fish! Thanks for your info.

8. dvalentine

Tom,

Stay with the trailing arms. The work required to convert it to leaf springs will not be worth the effort.
    The trailing arm / spring suspension works well. So well that NASCAR still uses it.

If that 72 rear is a leaf spring mount it can still be made to work. The leaf spring mounts will need to be cut off the differential and trailing arm mounts welded in their place.
    Remember to set the pinion angle BEFORE welding anything solid.

DV

9. 1bigguppy

1bigguppy Member

Thanks for the information. I looked at the plate in the glovebox and it is a factory leafspring with a hevy duty spring option. I was under the same impression as you. Maybe we should take a picture of the plate and lay a few bets. Thanks again for the info.

10. drabo

drabo Member

Use the web address I sent in the previous message. It will allow you to use a leaf spring type rear end on your truck. Looks like every thing is bolt on too.

11. JOHN66

JOHN66 Member

I HAVE A 66 AND I TOOK THE WHOLE BOTTOM OF A 73 AND PUT IT ON MY 66. THE ONLY CHANGES THAT I HAD TO DO IT RE-WELD THE MOUNTS BECAUSE I DROPPED MY TRUCK, BUT A 73 WILL FIT WITH THE SAME BOLTS.GOOD LUCK.

12. chris

chris Member

RE: I need a truck

do you know where i can find a 66 chevy fleetside shorbed c10 or k10
    anything will help in the texas area :7

13. dvalentine

RE: I need a truck

try e-Bay.