i6 250 Service

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by vwnate1, Dec 27, 2014.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

It's beginning to look like I won't get my 292 overhaul finished by the time the Paint Jail needs a drive line to install so to - day I began stripping down the 250 I pulled out , I'll clean it up , re paint it and replace the chrome rockerbox cover that's on it now with an original raised " CHEVROLET script one I have .

I need to find some side tappet covers to replaced the chrome ones on there now , anyone have an old 190/230/250 i6 engine or parts lying 'round ? .

I was saddened to find the goofs I bought this truck from assembled it not only with all new cheapo hardware , they used the wrong size bolts in the wrong holes a bunch too ~ I spent some time running a tap in the various block holes .

The amount of built up grease and road grime behind corners etc. was amazing .

I've washed the block once and will do it again , get it squeaky clean before wire brushing the whole thing then I'll paint it correct Red / Orange .
    I plan to take all the various brackets and things , and bead blast them before re - spraying glossy black again .

I did take some photos but can't find my iPod patch cord so I can't post 'em up yet :( .

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Found The patch Cord

O.K. ;

It says I have loaded the first pic I took , the engine fully dressed : i6.250.12.27 001.jpg

Here is is stripped , just after the first washing : View attachment 13818

I'm unsure why the second picture doesn't open , just click on the hyperlink to see it , the Chrome Rockerbox will be going .

I also need the two painted side (tappet) covers from any 194/230/250 C.I.D. engine and will come take them off your dead engine or dig through junk piles , drive to whatever junkyard on So. Cal. has one of these engines.... (HINT) .

I will be giving the Chrome covers away once this job is done .

More pictures if anyone wants, just ask .

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Gettin' after it, ain't ya Nate. Thanks for sharing.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

! Crash !

I worked on it a bunch more to - day , it's supposed to rain Tuesday so I'd hoped to get it cleaned up and dried off for paint by Monday evening....

I was scraping and wire brushing old cracked paint off , then decided to move it a few feet and apply more de greaser ~ the El Cheapo three legged Chinese engine stand went over center and dropped the engine onto my Cement driveway ! :eek: .

I *think* it's O.K. , the Chrome rockerbox is all bashed in on the front end now but i didn't like that anyways .

I hoisted it back up and carefully brushed it with de greaser , rotated it up side down and worked in more on the sump and various nook & crannies , wahsed it all off again and found two rebuilder tags glued to it ~ one on the back of the cylinder head , another in a welch plug on the left side of the cylinder block .

After cleaning up and putting up my tools , I washed up and ordered 6 new pistons , a 1964 (pre smog) spec. camshaft (new) and 12 new hydraulic lifters....

More fun to come , stay tuned :eek: .

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Happy new year !

O.K. , let's see if I can post a few more pix .

250 before cleaning :

Attached Files:

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

More

250 stripped of accessories , still filthy as it was removed from my truck :

Attached Files:

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Tired Yet

first pass of cleaning :

Attached Files:

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You Asked For Pix !

T'other side after first cleaning :

IMG_0790[1].JPG

That's it for now , more to come soon .

The oil pan turned up with two creases in it so I'll remove it and dress that out , then re paint it .

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Painting

O.K. , I tried to go goof off but Steve's TR3 broke a wheel off so after his rescue I went back home and began painting this 250 C.I.D. engine .

CHEVROLET ORANGE is what I used , this is O.K. for an InLiner Thin Wall engine , right ? .

I ran out of paint and energy at about the same time , will take it up again this week .

10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Nate, I like your double-barrel threads on Chevy 6-banger rehab. I guess I'll just respond to one. It's looking good, I'm hoping my interest in this doesn't make me a die-hard six-in-a-row guy.
    You must have ran out of battery power in your camera, too.
    Chevy orange should be properly clear-coated, you know.
    I kinda think the chrome should be replaced with polished alum. Offy stuff.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

InLiner Gab

Thank you Steve ;

I want the original steel , painted tappet and rockbox covers , I just found a late 1970's vintage 250 i6 languishing in a scattering of old ' CORE ' engines and purchased it for $100 delivered , I also bought a mid 1970's vintage VW 1600 C.C. (about 97 C.I.D.) ' Twin Port ' core engine , it has the improved ' Dog House ' typ oil cooler and my Son will rebuild it and stick in his new Rock Buggy .

back to InLiner Caht now , O.K. ? .

InLine engines (all of them) create prodigious torque and so are perfect for Commercial use , also driving 'round town where burning rubber isn't important .

I grew up on old pre War InLiners and nothing else will ever do for me .

I'm pleased to read someone enjoys reading my ramblings as I go along .

I'll take some snaps soon and post 'em up .

I won't be clear coating anything here as it's to be used and worked , clear coat would die quickly in my daily use environment .

Nothing wrong with having V-8's and still liking 6 Bangers :p .

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Paint

O.K. ;

I inverted it and sprayed it from the bottom down , then rotated it upright again and filled in all the thin / missed spots , looks O.K. to me :

IMG_0809[1].JPG

Whachoo think ? ;

IMG_0810[1].JPG

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

While You Were Sleeping

I got up Saturday early and began cleaning : IMG_0811[1].JPG

This is my first pile of stuff : IMG_0812[1].JPG

I had previously cleaned the poster steering pump and scraped all the paint off , the ATf is creeping crud so it was all oily again and I made this up quickly to wash it for final painting : IMG_0813[1].JPG
    As it turns out two of the rocker boxes had nearly 1/4" of what appeared to be black taffy but was in fact 40 year old Dino based oil residue so in the end I wasn't able to have anything ready for painting although things are much better along now...
    I even cleaned up a small bucket of hardware , nuts & bolts etc.

14. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

You weren't the only one not sleeping, in every pic. you have a furry supervisor.
    Reminds me of my kids when they were little, sneaking in to every picture.

15. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Looking good Nate! I've got a pair of "Overspray Orange" socks from when I painted my truck... they are my favorites!

The pooch is saying... "go for a ride?, go for a ride?" :eek:

16. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Man you have been busy Nate. lol Good work! Looks great! I only have 292 parts all over the place. :D

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Progress.......

...After a fashion ~ if I worked any slower I'd be going backwards ;) .

Thursday I spent the entire day hunched over those ding danged rockerboxes , laboriously hand wire brushing and scraping off layers of old paint , some of which looked like alligator skin .

Plus of course , re washing all those parts in the photos of the remaining crud , I've washed them multiple times and still always had a slight , sticky residue , this time when I began cleaning I could see the clean bright metal , the alternator turned grey again so I knew I was ready for Friday.....

FIVE HOURS spent bent over a bead blaster cleaning up a full milk crate of parts....

I don't know what the heck kind of paint is on the water pump pulley but I couldn't get any paint off it atall :mad: .

Of course I don't ever bead blast the rocker boxes so I need to go buy some rust disolver to make those paint ready , I still need to dress their warped edges and bang the dents out of the tops.....

Whew , I'm *so* tired and beat up .

Steve , I have 292 parts all over my back yard , kitchen , service porch and even a few in the living and dining rooms....

I hope to get back to it this afternoon after work .

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Whew , I'm BEAT !

To - day I got off work and ran home to work more on my 250 engine project ~ I cleaned and painted some more parts , rigged up an old 1950's vintage microphone stand to hold the power steering pump whilst I washed it for painting (I already hand removed all the old paint) ~ just as I finished washing it , it tipped over and BANG ! on the concrete , denting the pulley =8-( .

I set it back up and weighted it with an old brake drum , washed and re painted the poor old pump , it already had dents all over & seeped ATF , now I'm going to have to search out another one somewheres soon .

GRrrrrrrrr.....

I then egan re attaching the various engine accessories , discovered the boob who last worked on it lost/didn't have the correct 7/16" USS motor mount bolts so he stupidly used long 3/8" bolts & nuts , ruining the threads inside the new motor mounts ~ good thing I keep all the old junk parts I collect until the job is finished ! I had two more late typ motor mounts , they're on it now plus I still have two original typ motor mounts to give away....

I'm almost finished picking gaskets out of the three V-8 engine gasket kits I have , looks like Vince is first in line for them , I'll never use V-8 gaskets and I can't toss out new parts , he gave me an old AM radio plus much help .

I'm spending hours cleaning , de rusting and sorting original hardware , the boob used almost all new Chinese crappo hardware and I don't want any of that on my truck ! .

I forgot my iPod thing-a-ma-jig @ work to - day else I'd have a picture , soon , I'll take some very soon , it's beginning to look nice again .

Maybe address the tranny this weekend and get it installed .

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Work,work,work,work,work,work,work,work

....Fall out in my recliner dogs on my lap..... :D

So , where was I ? :

Cleaning and sorting hardware , lots more than this ~ IMG_0819[1].JPG

Those pesky manifold bell washers and special bolts : IMG_0820[1].JPG

A few engine accessories mounted :
    IMG_0821[1].JPG

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bored yet ?

'Cause I've been a *very* busy boy ! (tired,too) .

I cleaned up de rusted and banged the dents out of three rockerboxes , two have " CHEVROLET " script in them :

IMG_0822[1].JPG

I think I mentioned I'd managed to knock the power steering pump over onto the concrete driveway , bending the pulley beyond repair ? .

Saturday my Brother came by as I was working on the manifolds (yes , pix of them are coming , keep yer pants on) and told me my favorite Self-Service Junk Yard had *just* laid out a 1968 C/20 Stake bed and it had a P.S. pump on it so I jumped in the rig and off we went ~

I got there and most of the dashboard and front end was already gone but I spotted the correct P.S. pump thusly :

IMG_0823[1].JPG

It's kinda hard to see in all that sun :

IMG_0824[1].JPG

Yep , that looks like it , the earlier pumps have different return hose nipple
    locations , this is important :

IMG_0825[1].JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015