Indicator stalk

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by sixdown, Aug 30, 2018.

1. sixdown

sixdown Member

New member and first post. I did a search but couldn't find anything on this.

I went to have a look at a '58 stepside today and it had an odd looking indicator stock. The owner said it was a dealer installed option but it looks too new for that. Is there a list of dealer installed options for the 58-59 Apaches? The rear bumper I was told was also a dealer installed option as it is a steel step bumper. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had heard of this and even maybe had a picture. I didn't think to take one of the indicator. Thanks for the assistance.

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Disclaimer: This information is based on 55.2-59 GMC (USA) and 55.2-59 Chevy & GMC (Canada) parts books, so it may not apply to 58-59 Chevy (USA).

55.2 to 59 USA GMCs had an RPO (Regular Production Option meaning you paid extra for them) for "built in" turn signals. They used switches and cancel hardware that interchanged with many other GM cars of that era. They used a 6 wire switch inside a bell at the top of the steering column, just beneath the steering wheel. Like other vehicles of that era, they shared rear brake and turn signal functions. Same part numbers are used for the switch and cancel mechanisms in my GMC (USA) and Chevy&GMC (Canada) parts books.

58-59 USA GMC dealers sold an add-on turn signal kit that was based on a Signal-Stat (says so in the parts book) turn signal controller that attached to the steering column with a clamp that looked a lot like a worm drive radiator clamp. This included top-of-fender mounted front turn signal lamps. These controllers do not self-cancel. The driver must switch them to "off" after executing the turn.

58-59 Chevy&GMC (Canadian) parts book shown 3 pages of turn signal hardware in the Accessories section. Most are for bigger than pickup size trucks. It also shows Signal-Stat options including one that has 4 way flashers.

The Signal-Stat has been cloned for years and is still available. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

3. sixdown

sixdown Member

Thanks Bill. I searched through my pictures and here is the best one i have showing the indicator. The steering wheel is in the way but maybe there is enough to see.

indicator.jpg

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Not a Signal-Stat 900, but could be a clone. Definitely not self canceling.

5. sixdown

sixdown Member

Thanks Bill. You are correct, not cancelling.

On another note, is there anywhere i can find out what interior came with which exterior paint. I'm thinking of the seats here. I've read the dash was typically two shades of grey. If I replace the seat covers I would like to pick something that is correct for the paint (a yellow gold - there is no paint plate).