Is subframing safe

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by pcjames4, Oct 6, 2004.

1. pcjames4

pcjames4 Member

I posted a while ago referencing a frame swap for my 1957 SWB truck. I got about one or two response so I'm not thinking about subframing? I'm not going to do it myself, I'm letting a guy that has done many subframes do it? Having said that, do I have any major problems to worry about. Is subframing safe? Any instaces of the "frame coming apart or splitting in two?"

I'm a little afraid of subraming and need some reaccurance.

2. tech1

tech1 Member

Well i have a 1942 chevy 2-door coupe and when i was 16 my father and i welded in a firebird subframe, so we could drop the 350 right in there. Needless to say i have had this car since i was 15 subframed it at 16 and here we are at 23 and the car has never had a problem with the subframe or the engine. I know that mine is not a truck but if it is safe enough for my 42 for 7 years then i dont think that yours will have a problem unless you do not trust the man that is doing the work. Remember your life is in his welds!!

3. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

Hello fellas,

Like tech1 says your life is in the welds. If this guy has had much success and you trust his work, then I see no reason to worry.
    Afterall new pick-ups have welded frames.
    For myself I've had some subframed cars and trucks. I remember one, a 53 3100 that had a pacer frontend under it. That was an old school type swap. It worked fine, but hard to find parts for. I prefer the complete front end kits, hub to hub, from HIEDT'S. Never had a problem and great quality for around $1500 and almost impossible to mess up on the install.

Good luck with your project,

GOOD THINGS,

BRANT

4. ljw

ljw Member

I have seen some subframed pickups that look very stout.The only things that look weak are substituting car suspension parts for a truck?! I like the idea of buying a bolt in or weld in commercial subframe.