is the tranny in our trucks a Power

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by lazys53, Mar 9, 2006.

1. lazys53

lazys53 Member

live in Sparks,NV, but my heart is in Cali.( I wil
    I want to take the rear-end and tranny down to be rebuilt. But I want to walk in the shop knowing exactly what I'm talking about. So, just a little info. fellas. The "3 in the tree" is a Powerglide or not? -----lazy

2. federale

federale Member

RE: is the tranny in our trucks a P

IIRC the first year for automatics in trucks was 1954. And no,a 3 on the tree is a three speed manual.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE:3 Speed Tranny

It's a Saginaw tranny and you should ask the tranny shop if they've even done a 40's vintage tranny _BEFORE_ you take it all apart , if they've ever done one as you don't want them to learn on _your_ tranny and there is a little bit to it , not much , just knowing how to shim the cluster gear etc.

Chevs Of The 40's will prolly have new gears as you're may be cracked or worn , the first gear slider can be flipped over and re-used , it was designed this way by Chevy .

Don't forget the new Oakie bushing in the Torque Tube....

-Nate

4. lazys53

lazys53 Member

RE:3 Speed Tranny

OK, whats an Oakie bushing? Is that slang? Or the part is REALLY called Oakie? My plans are to have the 3.55:1 gears installed. Would this alone,be enough as a re-build? I will ask the ? of "have you ever done a rebuild on this year?" when I'm making my call-arounds. Do I need to find an "Oakie Bushing?" If so , where? why? What is it?
    lazy

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE:Oakie Bushing

This is the bushing in the front of the Torque Tube , it supports the rear yoke and prevents vibrations & wear , long story of why it's called that , was made by the Oaklahoma Machine Co. and so on , I have one original one left (for MY truck) . anyway , you'll need a special puller to change it out , I am sure CD sells it .

Yes , ask the shop if they've ever rebuilt a " Torque Tube " tranny in an old Chevrolet and do they have any sources for new gears so it won't be apart on thier workbench for 2 years while they try to figger out what the hell this can of worm is...

What's wrong with your old tranny now ? jumping out of gear ? makes that horrible shrieking noise in 2nd. gear that gets ever louder as you acellerate ? .

-Nate

6. lazys53

lazys53 Member

Nah, Nate. I just want to make sure that everything is re-built and ready for the road. I'm going for he 261, not sure how that old tranny going to act with it. Thought I'd just get a jump on it, by re-building the tranny and rear-end. No problems right now. I am able to shift from 1st to 2nd and then 3rd without using the clutch. But not down shifting, just shifting up. At the right speed of course. Is that bad? If I don't have to work this friday, I'm gonna go down to the Engine Shop, ask ?'s and look around. Let you know how it went. Let me know what you think about rebuilding the tranny and rear-end. lazy

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ah ;

I'd not be shifting sans clutch , this isn't a Road Ranger 13 speed tranny and if you miss a couple shifts , it'll literally _explode_ on
    you , right there in the street .

if it works O.K. and doen't make noise nor pop out of gear , I say leave it alone , the 261 isn't going to harm it .

_DO_ go buy an Oakie bushing and puller and when the clutch gives out sometime in the future , replace the bushing if needed , then .

Untill then just go buy a 1/2" NPT thread magnetic drain plug and install it in your tranny , change the 90W hypoid oil once a year regarless of milage or every 10,000 miles if you're using it a lot and the tranny & rear end should outlast you and your grandkids...

You asked , that's what I'd do .

I work my poor old truck _hard_ so I change the tranny oil 2 or 3 times a year , it comes out clean these days but always a little bit of metal on the magnet , getting that normal tiny bit of metal out of the oil is the # 1 key to long tranny life .

-Nate