Jamb and Dash Cutouts for Power Doors, Help Needed

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by GonicGM, Sep 29, 2012.

1. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

I am adding power door accessories to my 85 K30. I noted that the donor Suburban had OEM jamb cutouts for the rubber accordians that were oval, taller than wide. Does anyone have the dimensions, height and width of oval? Images or dimensions or anything? No one has a stripped cab or tub that they can hold up a ruler or tape measure at these holes? I have doors to reference for those holes. Need info on door jambs and just below dash inside, I think. I believe the jamb holes are oval, need size and location and below there are round holes just under dash, nred location and diameter.

Would appreciate images, locations, dimensions. I have nothing to work with.

Thanks in advance.

2. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

There should be some dimples on the cab and doors midway between the door hinges, these are either for the bolt holes for the accordion looms or for the large hole that the wire harness passes through (can't remember if there are 1 or 2 dimples at each point). When I added pw/pl to my truck, I used an 1 1/2" hole-saw to cut the holes for the harnesses. You will need to remove your doors to drill these. Inside the cab, there should be an existing hole (about 1 1/2" round) behind the far left a/c vent and a corresponding one on the passenger side behind the glove box that you can use. It's a little difficult to fish the harness through, but it can be done. First 3 pics are my truck, the 4th is one I got from another site.

I highly recommend making sure the window rollers aren't cracked and spin freely; spray them liberally with white lithium grease if they don't. And if you haven't seen my thread on here, add relays to the window motors. These two things will have a big impact on the speed and reliability of the windows.

Attached Files:

3. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

I am familiar with the dimples and know that's why they are there. As I know that mid-late 80's had an oval cutout in the jamb versus the round hole in the door, I was seeking the dimensions of the oval. The holes inside the cab you speak of would be the pre-existing holes used by the single white dome lamp wire/grommet now? If that is the case, I guess I would pull the dome lamp lead from the grommet and it would feed through the accordian somehow to the door jamb switch.

I am only converting to power lock, still manual windows.

4. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

Found all the info from junkyard Blazer.
    On the front of the door halfway between the hinges, there are three dimples. The center is for the 1.5" main feed hole, cut with 1.5" hole saw. The two outboard of that are for the 3/16" rivets.
    Just under the dashboard are likewise dimples, they are about and inch below the dash and about 3.5-4" in from the weatherstrip lip. These again are for the 1.5" wire feed grommet. The upper cutout/notch in the vinyl kickpanel will align with this hole.
    Lastly are the door jamb/cowl modifications with the center hole being an oval, 1.25" wide, 2" tall. Halfway between the door hinges are four dimples in alignment. The two outer are for the 3/16 rivets. The two inner provide you the centers for a 1.25" hole saw. Once done with the holesaw, you will have a relative "8". Simply cut the verical line tangent to the major hole diameter and dress leaving a nice oval.