Just curious...

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by sinerasis, Nov 29, 2006.

1. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I was just wondering how difficult it would be to make a 2wd truck 4wd. The recent weather here is making me envious... I'm working with a '77 c10, no options to speak of. It's got a fresh 305 and a 700r4 auto trans. It's also a stepside. I think it has the light duty breaks although I've never actually looked.

Anyone actually done something similar? What parts are required? Would I need to switch trannys? I'm assuming that the newer modles actually used a similar trans, so maybe a front axel and transfer case?

Again, just curious... :rolleyes:

2. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

your lookin at a big job my friend.. trans, transfer case, cross members, front axle, steering box upgrade, cut a hole in the floor for the t-case shifter... and don't forget you have to install leaf springs and take out the A arm setup..lots of work....better to just pick up a 4x4.

3. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

I agree. The easy way would be to buy a 4x4 and swap your body/motor onto it. Using your transmission would require tearing it down and replacing the output shaft unless you went with a divorced t-case.

4. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I've come to the same conclusion after looking around online... thanks for the input guys :)