Just getting started

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by EJ1966, Aug 9, 2002.

1. EJ1966

EJ1966 Member

I've been reading some replies from this discussion forum, and I 've already learned tons of tricks and different tools to help me. I'm planning to restore my 1966 checvrolet swb pickup.I done alot to it already, but to name a few, I dropped a 5.7L v-8 engine, I converted the front end to disk brakes, and managed to get the truck sanded down and primered. I have so many questions, I don't no where to begin.I wonder where I should start my restoration process.

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

hi EJ..

First off, pick up the manuals. Factory Service manual 63 and the 66 supplement, and the Factory Assembly manual. Subscribe to magazines like Custom Classic Trucks and Classic Trucks for ideas and education.

I prefer to start with what you have started with. Suspension and steering. Moving the fuel tank out of the cab is next on my list. Then and drive train changes you may want. Finally body work. At some point you should start the hunt for the known bad spots. Rocker panals, kick panels, cab floors and corners and lower front fenders. Closly inspect the rain gutter on top of the windshield. These are a hidden killer. They will leak and cause interior panels to rot from the inside out.

Happy Trucking !!

Dennis