Just my luck

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by Reinovator, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

I'm not sure if this is where I should post this but please bare with me. Next Project on my panel truck was exhaust. I went to my local tire and mechanics shop and got a quote for $350, not bad for around here. I made an appointment took my panel truck in and got a call back at home about 1/2 hr latter saying it was going to cost $675, I was polite and said this was out of my price range I'll come get my truck, hung up and proceeded to come unglued.
    Now under stand I've been a Partsman, Mechanic, and Bodyman. This is an insanely high price for a vehicle that is Not Required to have any catalytic converters already has headers installed, with new collectors and Gaskets sitting on the seat. So I made a few phone calls out of the book at a parts house the pre-bent pipe 2 1/4" came to $230 with out mufflers.
    I new I could beat that so I tried ebay, nope even higher. One last place LMC truck, (Sorry Classic I would have preferred you guys:() dual exhaust pre-bent 2 1/4" with glass packs $230 with freight. Called a friend, with a lot more exhaust experience than I. (He used to work at the same shop that quoted me that outrageous price and and thought the same thing I did that some one was higher than a kite.) When it arrived and we had the system installed in two and a half hours, off the floor on creepers, very little modification. Used one of the front manifold pipes to extend the mid pipe 6" welded it up to the collectors, over all fit very good. Sounds a little loud but nice.
    Took it out for a test drive this after noon to check the mail and threw the timing chain. Should have it back together tomorrow.

My point is don't always except your first bid, and check the timing chain and or belt on a used engine when installing it. I usually do for a customer but not for me. I like chasing wrenches.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Okay the cure,
    It was not the timing chain, although it was loose.
    I went and bought a Carb kit came home opened my shop to work on the panel truck and my neighbor came over to see how things were going and he was baffled also with the symptoms, you have to have air going in to the engine along with all the gas in order for the engine to race.

I stepped back and let him try and diagnose the problem he couldn't see it either. he scratched his head also and said it can't be that bad. We both just starred at the truck. we both agreed it's got to be something stupid, this just doesn't suddenly happen.

after a minute or two I stared getting tools out and I looked at the carb and noticed a plug wire touching the rear linkage on the secondaries.

I tugged the wire and it had fallen just enough to bind on the linkage to keep the secondaries open just enough to cause the engine to race. can you say DAH.:rolleyes:
    Keep your wires bundled.
    No reply is necessary I feel dumb enough.