Ken Spare Tire Carrier

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ronaldg, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

Hi Ken I tried to send you a private message but no response i probably am being impatiant anyway i almost completed my spare tire carrier and was wondering if the rubber pieces at the end of the piece that holds the tire to the bed, are they available or do i need to make them and are yours bolted to the metal or glued or what i emailed steele rubber no responce please let me know and perhaps a pic would be great thanks again.

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Ron!

Didn't get a PM, but let me check again. If I remember correctly, the rubber pieces are bolted on to the cross piece. I'm pretty sure they are molded rubber bonded to a stud which attaches thru the cross member with a nut.

1950 chev pu 122.jpg

50%20chevy%20pu%20177.jpg

This is what you're talking about, right?

3. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

spare tire carrier

Yes thats right i also need the bolt with the grove in it but i think you said the bolt without the grove is available from our vender probably can put the grove in it. thanks for the quick reply ken

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Ron, I just got back from crawling under the truck. Damn, I'm getting old.:( Yes, the rubber pieces bolt to the cross member! I have never seen repops of those parts, but that's not to say they they are not out there. As far as the groove on the nut that holds the "j" hook, you don't need that unless you've got the accessory "spare tire carrier lock". I pretty sure that Joe can hook you up with all of the above!

Let me know if you need additional info, measurements, pics etc!

Ken

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Ron: If you need any parts let me know. I'll sell you Ken's. He never drives his truck so he really doesn't need a spare. ;)

6. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

spare tire carrier

Hay Bill i guess if he never drives it he will never need to change the tire so he'll never miss it just kidding thanks for climbing under there Ken I do have the lock for the j bolt ken.