key switch wiring gas gauge terminals identification

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by denisf, Jul 15, 2017.

1. denisf

denisf Member

My truck was wired as follows, looking through the dash at the key switch, there is right terminal, left terminal and bottom. The right terminal was wired to two places, one to lighter, and one through firewall to resistor on firewall and that then went to coil. The bottom terminal, heavier wire to starter motor. Nothing on the left terminal.

Does that sound correct?

Second question is about gas gauge, my wiring diagram form our sponsor, refers to f terminal and e terminal on gas gauge. F goes to gas sending unit, no issue and e goes to ignition switch, again no issue. The question is which is which on gas gauge? in attached pic, I have a partial warning tag on one terminal but cannot read it. Which terminal gets power form key switch, the E terminal?

Attached Files:

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Originally (yours isn't because originally there was no ballast resistor) the left terminal was "accessory". That said, there wasn't a separate accessory position on the original ignition switch, just "off" and "on", so it really doesn't make much difference where the wires are connected. Different story if you have an aftermarket switch with a separate accessory position.

The F terminal is the nearest terminal to the F (Full) mark on the gauge. With that hint I'll bet even Brubaker could figure out which is the E terminal.

Zig likes this.
  3. denisf

denisf Member

now that is cute! Thanks

4. Zig

Zig Member

Phew~ I thought Bill might have referenced me on the above comment.

denisf likes this.