Leak at interior kick panel

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by taylormade85k10, Jan 18, 2005.

1. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

I have an 85 k10 no a/c with the vents in the floor board side panel.
    I have water coming in around those panels when it rains. It doesn't matter if its going down the road or sitting in the yard. Please any advise is appreciated .}> }> }>

2. Steve W

Steve W Member

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad windsheild seal. The water was running down from the bottom corner of the windsheild and then inside. It pooled up under the floor mats. I was sure at first it was coming in the vents, but I had friend run a garden hose over the front of the truck and found the leak.

Good luck.

Steve

3. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

>I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad
    >windsheild seal. The water was running down from the bottom
    >corner of the windsheild and then inside. It pooled up under
    >the floor mats. I was sure at first it was coming in the
    >vents, but I had friend run a garden hose over the front of
    >the truck and found the leak.
    >
    >Good luck.
    >
    >Steve

Thanks Steve...I look in that area too..

4. gbskunk

gbskunk Member

Hmmm, window seals. I have a slightly different problem where water seems to leaking in the back of my cab, just under the rear window, and is starting to rust quite badly. Might post some pictures unless someone can confirm this?

Cheers

5. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

Does it leak while its parked ?

6. 824x4

824x4 Member

I fixed this problem on my truck this past weekend. If you have determined that it is not the windshield seal, remove the windshield wiper cowling (hood may have to loosened a little bit to remove the cowling. On the passenger side you find a small hole (factory hole)about where the cowling channel stops under the corner of the windshield. The door and top corner of the fender meet in this area also. I am not sure what goes in this hole but it will allow water to come in through the vent you are speaking of. Seal it off with a plug or some silicon. I thought I would never find this problem! Note there is also a hole on the driver side also, be sure to check it at the same time. Looks like a screw hole or somthing, mine actually rusted a little around the hole because it was leaking there so long. Hope this helps!

7. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

Well I be D%^%...My theory had always been that some how water was hitting on top of the vent duct. I wasn't sure how that was happening thoguh , and It never seemed that GM sealed good enough for water to hit it directly. I was 3 days away from putting silicon on the back of the panel and sealing it for good until now...thanks soo much.

8. 824x4

824x4 Member

It is still a good idea to replace the gasket on the rubber surround at that vent on the kick panel or apply silicon and re-install it! A little extra insurance to keep from ruining the carpet or rusting the floor board.

9. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

Yep...you are correct...On the drivers side I can't get that panel out at all...I have pulled and pulled...twisted and twisted , it wont let go of the dang truck for nothing...any ideas ?

10. 824x4

824x4 Member

Are you refering to the cowling or an interior kick panel piece. If it is the cowling, after you have removed the screws there are some plastic retainers that hold the cowling to the fire wall, you may have to break them and purchase new ones at your local parts store, they resemble the retainers that hold the door panels on. If you are talking about the kick panel inside there are just four screws two of them holding the hood latch pull assy. Good Luck

11. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

Im referring to the kick panel on the drivers side floor board area. It's more than 4 screws , its more like 6 plus the two emergency brake lever... this kick panel also has a vent it as well just like the passenger side.

12. 86badboy

86badboy Member

hey mad all i can say is give it a nice cawking job get sum clear stuff. have fun