LED Tail lights

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Larrys 48, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Has anyone installed these on their truck? The OEM are 2 wire while there are 3 wires on the LED assembly. What did you do with the ground wire? :confused:

2. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Might the LED tail lights be multi purpose stop/tail lights? One wire for ground, one wire for parking/tail lights, and the third for stop? Not familiar with them, just throwing a theory out there.

Damon

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

2 wire, 3 wire.

The 2 wire original style taillights grounded through the housing. The new LEDs must have a ground wire that is just simply grounded to the frame.
    The LEDs are MUCH better, last longer and alot brighter.
    They also usually need a special flasher to keep them from blinking real fast as they don't have much resistance.
    They are a wonderful thing, Truckers like me can add 200 lights to our trucks and not need a super alternator.

4. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

You may not need them if you run just one pair. I added some to the rear of my truck and they work fine. I did try to add a set to the front but they didn't work even with the flasher.

5. Tubby

Tubby Member

[​IMG]

White. Ground
    Red. Stop/turn
    Black. Tail

12 volt

If your running LEDs front and back then you will need a led flasher
    United pacific has one sold by our sponsor I believe

If your just running LEDs rear then your standard flasher will work.

They will not work on a 6 volt system. I believe they require at least 7.7 volts

They work great.

6. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Finally

After chasing ghosts over the past year (circuit testing, new brake switch, fuse check, wiring continuity) I located my problem. I purchased an old made in the USA Yankee turn signal switch from another enthusiast years ago and it has some undisclosed :mad: internal problem, as after installing a new made in China knock-off turn signal switch from our sponsor my brake lights are shining bright. :D

7. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

This is What I'm doing, the whole light is brake and running and half of it blinks for the single.

[​IMG]

8. 52wasp

52wasp Member

they just need a little GROUND

Usually, LED taillights are sealed, and have a ground wire, since the mounting hardware is external to the (plastic) case. Such has been the case with my boat taillights (LED's are nice when you forget to disconnect the trailer... you don't pop all the bulbs which have heated during the ride), as well as the LED tail's I installed over the weekend on my landscape trailer.

Uber-bright, a must-have for our trucks with small taillights.

Already on my list.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

FWIW ; they make LED bulbs for 6 volt applications too and you'll be well pleased wit them and your generator will like them too ! .

I have been adding them to my fleet bit by bit and I am extremely well pleased .

When you're shopping them look closely as some have a lot of LED's , others have less and those are not really bright although you $ave $2 on the purchase price .