Light switch

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by dorcutt, Dec 4, 2018.

1. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

Question today:

Any other solutions for the thermal cut brk opening when using halogen bulbs on the head lites. I read a thread by Steve in 2014 where he installed a relay to solve the problem. Spent some time chasing the issue before I saw his thread.
    Thanks, Dave

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

If you are talking about a standard H6024 7" bulb, they only use 40 watts. Regular incandescent bulbs take more.

I put 7" reflectors that use 9003 60/55 watt bulbs into my '52 GMC once I realized that the deer around my new homestead think they have the right of way at night. At least I can see the buggers before they run in front of me at night. 90 and 100 watt versions of the 9003 lamp are available.

I put in my own relays, but there are kits available. You'll need two relays, one for low beam and one for high beam.

3. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

If I go back to the original head lites will this cure my problem?

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

IF (big if) the switch is not defective then original bulbs (type 5400 according to the GMC Maintenance Manual and which no longer exist) or 6012 should work. They are rated at 50 watts each on high beam and 40 watts each on low beam.

Halogen H6024 bulbs worked fine on my 57 GMC although they take a little more power at 60/50 watts.

Anything pulling more power than that would likely need a relay kit.

5. coilover

coilover Member

Have not used a regular seal beam in 40 or more years with zero trouble. If the wattage is the same or close the wires don't know if it's standard bulb, halogen. or a gerbil holding a candle.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sounds like wiring or dirty headlight switch contacts is the culprit here, easy enough to fix .