Lines and hoses from the carburetor to?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by wokri, Oct 7, 2009.

1. wokri

wokri Member

Hello,
    I have some questions to the tubes and hoses from the carburetor to ...?
    1. The copper line on photo 1 and photo 2 goes from the carb to the spark control?
    2. The hose from the exhaust goes to the wiper motor? (photo 3)
    3. Where is the throttle connection? Or doesn't the carb has a throttle?(photo 4+5)
    Ask
    Wolfgang

Attached Files:

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Yes, the vaccume line goes to the advance at the distributor. The throttle is a rod linked to the gas pedal. It goes to a rocker attached to the block under the manifold, then goes into the floor to the gas pedal. It has a return spring that goes to a clip mounted to an oil pan bolt

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Engine Controls

Wolf ;

If you go to Inline Tubing , they have pre-bent steel tubing to replace that wretched mess you have now .

Use the fuel and vacuum advance tubing from a 1957 235 .

Questions like this are best answered by looking in the owner's booklet , factory shop manual and factory assembly manual , they're cheap and ever so helpful .

Also , I often cheat by loking at other , finished rigs at shows and drive ins , can't always be sure they did it " Just So ' though .

The carby needs two rods and a bell crank , it can be either cast iron or stamped sheel metal and slips over a pivot post screwed into the side of the cylinder block . the shorter , vertical rod should have a tab welded onto it exactly 1/2 way , this is for the throttle return spring , it goes straight down and orginally hooked to a tab on the oil pab , this is usually gone missing so folks just hook the lower end ot the spring to the lip of the oil pan .

Use a soft return spring .

Try looking in older messages with attachments of file photos , there's lots that show the throttle linkages .

4. wokri

wokri Member

Now the third time trying to answer

Hello Nate,
    Chevy trucks of the 50s are very exotic cars here in Germany. So you find them not very often on shows or drive ins.
    My friend has a truck but its build 1948 and many parts are different then the parts of my truck. I went often to him to have a look before I ask here in the forum.
    So I have to ask in future a lot of times again. I will make photos of my experiments and show them.
    But at last not least I very pleased if get helpful answers from you guys.:D
    Wolfgang

5. coilover

coilover Member

Okay, where did you mis-place all the linkage. Every bit of it is there in picture #3, the vertical rod, the bell crank, and the rod to the accelerator pedal. If you mean the hand throttle there is a cable housing clamp that is held to the top of the carb float bowl with the float bowl screw. The throttle wire inside the housing then goes through a slip fitting and has a wire clamp with a set screw. As Nate said, the factory manual has an exploded view and the picture is worth a thousand regular words or two thousand of mine.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Evan's Words

..Are priceless , save them for future referance .

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wolf :

Chevy's ? ' exotic ' ?! :rolleyes: might I remind you , you're in the land of Rometch and Hebmeuller..... :p

Anyways , IMO , pictures are often worth far more than words .

You might give Chevrolet Obsolete in Georgia , USA a look , they have terrific
    OnLine catalog pictures you can save .

In general it is a good idea to create a notebook of pictures , diagrams and tech tips etc. for your old timer vehicle as you'll be needing it .

8. wokri

wokri Member

Rometsch und Hebmüller very exotic like Chevy trucks

Hello Nate,
    you are right Rometsch and Hebmüller are really exotic bodie builder, but the technic was Volkswagen.
    As I wrote Chevy personal cars are not so exotic. but trucks ... I'm the only one and a friend of mine we are the only ones how restore those trucks. Normal classic car driver has English, Italian, French and German cars. Oh, I forgot Swedish cars. :D See the photo.

The problem for me is that the carb of my truck isn't in the shop manual or factory manual. So I often can not find the things I wanted.
    I will try tommorrow to connect the throttle with the carb. I will take my cammera and shut some pics.
    Wolfgang

Attached Files:

9. Volker

Volker Member

???

Exotic truck??
    I know a lot of people in Germany and they drive Chevy trucks from all years. From 46 till 68.

Please take a look in "Chrom und Flammen".

(it's a collector car magazine in germany)

Volker

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Manuals

Wolf ;

The linkages remain the same from the late 1930's to the 1962 model year , when dealing with the Cast Iron Wonder , Chevy's fabulous InLine 6 cylinder lump ,er , engine (yeah , that's it ! :rolleyes:) .

FWIW , you should have the factory shop manual for the year of engine you have in there , I see it's a 235 CI Passenger car engine , manuals are cheap $ 29.95 US plus airmail .

11. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

Get a bending tool and a flaring set. The SAE sizes & threads are probably not at you local car part store but if you can get the right size tube you can cut the ends of and use your old fittings. We know they fit. A little practice and patience will be a good reward. I dont like to run lines over the valve cover. There is room in front for lines. Good Luck

12. wokri

wokri Member

Fixing the problem with the throttle

Hello,
    I hope I had done it right. I've take the throttle cable cut it a little bit fixed it at the backet on the carb, and set a drill in the rod from the carb took the wire from the throttle and put him through the hole in the rod. I didn't cut the wire until I get the accelerator rod and the accelerator.
    If you like take a look and give a comment.
    One photo show how I fixed the horn.
    Wolfgang

Attached Files:

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wolf ;

It's getting there , soon you'll be happliy driving .

The choke , throttle and temperature gauge cables & tube are supposed to go through the gone missing grommet in the firewall hole that's open , just to the right of the speedo cable...

If you'd just buy the book you'd see all this and so much more .

That two blade fan isn't going to move sufficient air volume whilst you're waiting for a traffic light .

14. wokri

wokri Member

This is where fixed the oil canister

I like to show how I fix the oil canister on the inner fender.
    Wolfgang

Attached Files: