little help here

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by burban, Feb 22, 2002.

1. burban

burban Member

I just recieved a 1974 chevy suburban. I've got a 454 big block that I am going to re-build this summer. Besides air flow system, carb, headers, exhaust, performance pistons, high volume oil pumps, double roller timing chain set, chrome moly rings, high performance cam shaft, and valves. what esle should i do for better performance? Plus, i was wondering what you all think of body lift kits? since my truck is two wheel drive, suspension lifts cost up to 1200 dollars. So i was thinking about a 3in. body lift. what do you all think?
    thanks,
    Paul
    look out cause here i come;)

2. basketcase

basketcase Member

Sounds like you have the engine covered. I would also upgrade to an electrtronic ignition and a MSD 6A box. You will get better performance and crisper throttle response. Maybe even some mpg improvement. While you have the engine out is a good time to put in a new heater core and radiator with improved capacity for the big engine. You didn't say anything about the trans but a new or rebuilt converter would be a good idea and maybe a performance rebuild of the trans.

Tom