little help here

Discussion in 'Blazers/Jimmys/Suburbans' started by burban, Feb 22, 2002.

1. burban

burban Member

I just recieved a 1974 chevy suburban. I've got a 454 big block that I am going to re-build this summer. Besides air flow system, carb, headers, exhaust, performance pistons, high volume oil pumps, double roller timing chain set, chrome moly rings, high performance cam shaft, and valves. what esle should i do for better performance? Plus, i was wondering what you all think of body lift kits? since my truck is two wheel drive, suspension lifts cost up to 1200 dollars. So i was thinking about a 3in. body lift. what do you all think?
    thanks,
    Paul

look out cause here i come;)

2. BadBow

BadBow Member

well you can use something called an "oil scraper" it lines right up with the crankshaft and keeps the oil off it so it spins faster, there for more power. You could also put a power pulley kit on. which are the belts in the front of the engine and what it does is it takes some weight off the crank and distrubts it evenly on the altnator and power steering pump. For a lift kit look in JC whitney you can get a 3" lift for as little as $78 probably just as good.

3. 57heaven

57heaven Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-02 AT 07:03 PM (CST)]:) Howziit Paul! my words of advice...KEEP IT SIMPLE.

my question: how fast do you want to go?

JMO, i would not buy underdrive pulleys, for what little HP they offer. water pump slows down, as does alternator charging.

Hmmmm, if for strictly street, stock oil pump, oval-port heads, ram-air induction,performer manifold, Qjet, comp 12-556-4 nitrous cam(218-230D,462-480L, 113LSA), headers, X-pipe, 2.5" exhaust system, recurved HEI, TCI converter, 9:1 forged pistons, new/rebuilt rods, with ARP bolts, rebuilt GM crank.

that should provide you with sufficient street HP/TQ.

if the need arises for more power, simply bolt on the NOS...or a small centrifugal or roots-style supercharger.

the cam and relatively low compression ratio should work fine...NA, NOS, or blown.

depending on the diameter of your tires, you might want to swap to lower gears...and maybe overdrive trans.

good luck with your project,man.:D :D :D

4. Big D

Big D Member

Sounds like you are going in the right direction. I am picking up a 454 next week and am going through the motor as well. One thing that I am doing different though is putting on a TBI kit from Holley. I like the ability of being able to program the computer plus it'll be easier to add NOS at a later date. I'll be keeping the C/R at about 9.5 as well as using forged pistons. It's going into a K5 Blazer so a cam for torque will be used. If you've got any helpful info on the rebuild I'd like to get a head start. Thanks, Dave