lock-up

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by verdell, Mar 6, 2003.

1. verdell

verdell Member

Anybody know who sells the most economical 700R4 torque converter
    lock-up kit (wiring and all)?

Verdell
    '60 short fleet w/ 307 sb V-8

2. offrdr75

offrdr75 Member

The most economical way to hook up your lock up torque convertor is to do it yourself. All that you need is a vacuum switch that is normally open and the closes when vacuum is applied and some wiring. When I hooked up the torque convertor on my 63 chevy truck I ran the wire from a 12 volt power source through a toggle switch I mounted on the dash for manual control. I then ran from the switch to the existing brake switch to kill power when the brake pedal is depressed. From the Brake switch you simply run it to the vacuum switch and then down to the A terminal on the transmission.You can ground the D terminal but it should be able to ground through the case of the transmission. Basically all you need is a way to kill power to the solenoid while braking and when there is no engine vacuum. The vacuum switch is so that it will not lock up immediately when it shifts to 2nd and so that it will unlock under wide open. The vacuum switch I used was off an early 80's model gm car with a lockup torque convertor that is not computer controlled.

I hope this helps.
    Don

3. verdell

verdell Member

Thanks Don!

This does help a lot but I was wondering if there is some sort of diagram available that details this stuff. Just want to make sure
    I'm absolutely correct with the wiring...

Verdell
    '60 Apache swb fleetside