Long Motors In The Mojave Desert !

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by vwnate1, Oct 28, 2007.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hi guys ;

I'm out visiting a guy I've known 30 - odd years and he took me to a truck junkyard I didn't know of before , I found several AD Jimmys and began scraping off the 1/4" think coating of sandy mud covering the engie serial numbers , there are three 270 CID engines there for $350.00 each , fan to clutch and all of them turn....

One more was out on the ground and has a 263 serial number , I'm not sharp on GMC's but I never heard of a 263 CID Jimmy engine ~ what the heck is it ? . this guy had a nice old AD GMC bob tail truck , I wish I'd hada camera for pix . he knows no one wil buy the Bobtail and since it has a good cab he's going to break it to sell the cab .

He has plenty of 16" 6 lug wheels too and he gets $25.00 each for them and ships...

Penland Salvage : mike.penland@penland.net his name is Mike and he seems a nice fella .

The only 261 he has , is in his 1946 3600 tow truck, it's a yard truck with a bobbed rear frame so it turns on a dime . like me , he doesn't run any muffler on it and he fired it up so's I could hear the music..... :rolleyes:

2. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

I've heard of 236 GMC engines, but not 263. Wonder if somone was having a bad day that day. Chris

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

236 Jimmy

I prolly wrote it backwards in my notes .

I'd not heard of a 236 either .

Too bad they won't fit my Chebby , I'm too busted up to do all the work needed .

4. Zig

Zig Member

Nate~ PLEASE!

This post is like showing that picture of the babe by the old AD to an inmate! I just have to cross my legs and think of something else!:eek:
    One of these days I'll need to look around these parts to see what I could lug home. It's kinda like Bill's post about the long motor he found.:(
    I finally found some time to get the steering box/column out of mine, so engine part removal should start happening soon!

I'm excited!:D

Strip, clean, paint. Strip clean paint.

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

6. Chiro

Chiro Member

Don't you mean...strip, clean, rattle, rattle. Strip, clean, rattle, rattle?

Andy

7. Zig

Zig Member

Andy!

:D;):p I was hoping by now you all KNEW that was coming!:rolleyes:

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lakka , Lakka , Lakka , Lakka , Lakka , Lakka , Lakka

,,,Lakka , Lakka , Lakka , Lakka..... :p

Guess what I was doing yesterday ? :D

That DupliColor Urethane wheel paint is Da Bomb ! this time I'm using their clear coat as the final coat and they're really shiny and nice looking .

9. Zig

Zig Member

I'm tellin' ya!

I'll be the first person to create a new award at car shows- Best rattle can paint job. Since I'll be the only one (at first) in this category, I'll win 1st. Place!!!:D

10. ccharr

ccharr Member

I picked up a 1954 Massey Harris 22 tractor for yard art from Mike out there by Edwards.(yard art is what I told the better half what the massey was going to be, she was MAD about wasting her week end to go pick it up) Kind of funny just out driving and run up on a auto crusher in someones front yard. Mike said he did not like to scrape any of those older units be it trucks, cars or tractors.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Saved Another One !

Good on ya Mac ! .

There's still quite a bit of good stuff just laying around in the Mojave Desert .

I used to go off following faint dirt trails in the early 1970's and I'd find all manner of cool stuff , ~ a '42 Oldsmobile COVERTIBLE comes to mind :eek:

I was too poor to even be aware of lwaen tractors in the 60's , now I see they made scads of really pretty ones and finding a complete dead one makes for a nice mailbox stand.... :p