Lowering help

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Shane_68C10, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Shane_68C10

Shane_68C10 Member

I have a 72 chevy pickup that i want to lower, and i'd like to do it fairly cheap. im not worried very much about the ride but more about the tires turning in our out if i heat the springs and things like that. Any help would be appreciated on a way to lower without spending much. Thanks

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

2 inch lowering springs. About $100 a pair from most suppliers.

There are lots of reasons not to cut springs, and even more about not heating springs. ALL of the reasons are related to safety. Your's and your fellow drivers. Bottom line is that $100 is pretty cheap to lower a truck safely.

Val

3. gb24

gb24 Member

With the 2" Lowering springs is there anything else you need to buy (shocks, drop spindles, etc.). Thanks.

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

You should use gas charged drop shocks with any lowering. I used KYB and love them.

Drop spindles are the BEST way of lowering the front. There will be no change in the factory geometery and your front end alignment guy will want to hug you.

Personally, I would not use any front spring that has more than 2 inches of drop. The ride quality will be compromised big time.

A 2 1/2" drop spindle with 2 inch drop springs will get that front down real low and still leave you with a good ride and a front end that will be easy to align.

You should leave a 2 inch difference between front and rear to level the truck. So if you go 4 inches in front you should drop the rear 6 inches.

Val