Lowering springs

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 65_C10, May 30, 2002.

1. 65_C10

65_C10 Member

HI,

Is there anyway I can accomplish a 3inch drop on my c10 by installing shorter springs? If so dont i have to change the shocks too? if anyone has done this can you please help me out. TIA

James

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-31-02 AT 11:50 AM (CST)]You didn't say if it was front or rear. Also, you said "shorter" springs. If you are talking about cutting springs, I would not go that route. It just ain't safe.
    Lowering springs are not that expensive (about $100 for 2) and are made to meet the stock load ratings. (ride quality)But, Yes you can do it with lowering springs. I lowered the rear of my panel 4 inches with springs. That required an adjustable track bar (panhard bar) and I used KYB shocks made for the 4 inch lowering. In the front I used 2 1/2 inch drop spindles (with disk brakes) and a one inch lowered spring. Again, KYB shocks for that lowered application.

I'm happy with the ride and handeling of the drop spindles which does not alter the steering geometry dramaticly.

Dennis

3. 65_C10

65_C10 Member

hi,

thanks for your help. i want to drop it 3 all the way around. And i cant afford the drop spindles for the front so thats what i was wondering (if i could use lowering springs for the front, and shorter shocks) that way i wouldnt have to fork out the money for the new spindles. Anyways thanks again

james