Marvel Mystery Inverse Oiler?

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Dan Lambert, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Hi folks, just joined and have a big restoration project underway with my Dad's 1958 Fleetside shortbed truck!

I found this inverse oiler covered with oil (of all things) attached to the firewall in the engine bay, and I was wondering if anyone here had one installed on their truck? It wasn't attached to the intake manifold, but looked like it had been at one time.

Right now I'm attempting to pull my cluster out to repair the speedometer face, but cannot seem to get it loose. I found another post that recommended disconnecting the oil pressure line first, so I guess I'll try that.

Glad I found this forum.. I will be using it a lot!

Dan

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Welcome, Dan.
    We like lots of pictures here. Also, do you have any history to go with the old truck?

Steve.

Dan Lambert likes this.
  3. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Hi Steve. Will post some photos soon. I sort of inherited the truck from my father who cannot drive anymore. It's such a big project that at first I told him to sell it, but he really wanted it to go to someone in the family. So glad I took if finally.

4. Ben@CPOA/TECH

Ben@CPOA/TECH Member

sounds like you have an INVERSE oiler, pretty cool old school technology.[​IMG]

Dan Lambert likes this.
  5. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Yep that's precisely what I have. Just ordered rebuild parts from guy in Connecticut, and a new decal from a guy in Argentina!

Ben@CPOA/TECH likes this.
  6. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Well I installed the rebuild kit and it all fit the oiler correctly. I also picked up a fuel hose and fittings to connect the oiler to the intake manifold. I'm amazed that there's a port in the manifold right below the carburetor. Is that stock design, or do you think it was added along with the oiler? Just waiting on the decal and it should be good to go!

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The manifold parts were stock for vacuum wipers and for attaching testing gauges...

8. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Thanks VW. So they actually had wipers that were powered by vacuum? Mine are electric.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yes ;

IIRC it was 1956 or '57 when the electric wipers came into being .

Over the decades many old work/farm trucks were cobbled up using new and / or older parts so who know what's on your rig .

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

32 (? might be longer) years later and I STILL miss my battered old '55 Chevy tow truck.... :( .

11. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Well that would certainly go along with my 58 having electric wipers. I'm still wondering how the washers would have been connected.

12. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

57 GMC (I don't know about Chevy trucks) had optional electric wipers.

The GMC washers (also optional) were fed from a bag that hung on the driver's side inner fender panel. A hose went between the bag and a "pump" that was pedal operated by the driver. From there back up the firewall and into the cowl in front of the windshield. The hose T'd to two hoses that attached to the chrome pieces with spray heads (sorry, don't know what they are called) that the short shafts that the wiper arms mount to.

13. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Now that is classic.. a water bag and a manual foot pump! Thanks Bill!

Well I got the MM oiler all clean and rebuilt, and received a couple of new MM decals from Ricardo in Argentina which look amazing. I discovered a small crack in the reservoir jar which wasn't leaking, but I sealed it with a clear oil/fuel resistant sealer to be certain. Will try to post some pics when I get a chance.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  14. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Okay guys, I've finished rebuilding my inverse oiler, and it came out great I think. Not sure I want to put it back into the truck now! The decal looks just like the original that was damaged by oil and neglect.

Attached Files:

Ben@CPOA/TECH likes this.