Masking/striping tape

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bilbo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

OK Guys, I searched the forums and can't find a discussion about what masking tape works best to give a clean line where a two tone paint job is being done. Regular tape leaves a pretty obvious line. Also, is there a good technique for painting, and removing the mask tape to prevent pullling up paint? I kinda suspect Russ and some of you others can help. Thanks.

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I just painted the back of my cab, leaving the upper cab white, and I used green Frog Tape from Home Depot. It left a nice clean line. No doubt not what you would use on a high dollar paint job but it worked fine for my ole shop truck.

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

3M blue fine line tape. Use the thinner stuff for curves and the thicker to do straight lines. DO NOT pull this stuff very hard, it will shrink back at the worst possible moment. Just pull taught enough to keep it straight and stick it. I also reccommend going over it with the back of your thumbnail to make shure it is firmly pressed down. Mext mask with a row of good masking tape, then tape and paper. After painting, pull the tape soon after the paint tacks up so that you avoid sharp paint lines.