Mirrors for 4x4

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Twisters 4x4, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Twisters 4x4

Twisters 4x4 Member

Hello,
    new to this forum but not to Classic Parts or Chevy Duty.
    I have a 65 I put 76 4x4 running gears under quite a while back with a big block 402ci.
    I bought the truck right out of high school(1975)I am doing a big makeover this time.
    I was wondering about your ideas for mirrors that would complement a 4x4..Don't pound me,but I like the Ford truck mirrors.They seem to set like I want on the doors.The original west coast type seem to be imposable to find and not sure if I want to drill and clamp on my fresh doors.Any help would be great along with some pictures.
    Thanks,Mike
    PS:If you get close to Classic Parts' store do stop in.It is nice and they are very helpfull.

2. 283 man

283 man Member

Welcome to the forum.If you want f*rd mirrors on your truck Id say go for it!

3. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

I was wondering about your ideas for mirrors that would complement a 4x4..Don't pound me,but I like the Ford truck mirrors.They seem to set like I want on the doors.The original west coast type seem to be imposable to find and not sure if I want to drill and clamp on my fresh doors.Any help would be great along with some pictures.
    Thanks,Mike
    PS:If you get close to Classic Parts' store do stop in.It is nice and they are very helpfull.[/QUOTE]

Hey Mike,

My K-20 has the mirrors like the big trucks have. In some ways I don't like them because of the blind spot they create but I do like the visibility looking back with them. My truck sits up way high and they seem to fit good with my rig and look ok (other then the surface rust).
    Dave

Attached Files:

4. bobcat77

bobcat77 Member

5. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

6. bobcat77

bobcat77 Member

No problemo, K-20! From all outward apprearances, your truck is sickeningly stock and original (read " I wish it were mine ") and quite a nice example of rolling history!

7. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

Thanks Bobcat, It sure gets LOTS of attention when I take her to town. Today I did a town run and must have been approached 4 or 5 different times getting complements on my 65. One guy even crawled under and was checking out the transfer case. It may just be this town too, sort of a place where lots of people are living life like it was 40 or 50 years ago.
    Dave

8. bobcat77

bobcat77 Member

I know what you mean about getting lots of attention. I fired up the ol' gal this afternoon to go to my lodge and a guy started asking me all sorts of questions at the gas station...what year, how long have you had it, etc...almost as good a time waster as this computer is! lol..:D
    People give you a thumbs up just about everywhere you go too. And for me it's like being back in high school, or riding around with my dad *rest his soul*.
    Did I mention this truck has been in my life since I was 7 ? :p
    Take care!

9. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

. And for me it's like being back in high school, or riding around with my dad *rest his soul*.
    Did I mention this truck has been in my life since I was 7 ? :p
    Take care![/QUOTE]

That is really great that you are hanging onto it.. I could not imagine a finer family heirloom! And it is a lot of fun to see people do a double take while driving down the road...

10. Twisters 4x4

Twisters 4x4 Member

Thanks for the help.I did find and bought a pair of Junior West Coast on ebay.I posted a few pics of my truck headed to Missouri for a few nips and tucks.
    Later,Thanks again
    Mike

11. bobcat77

bobcat77 Member

Right on, Mike! Glad you found what you needed on fee-bay! I'm liking craigslist.com more and more, there are people on ebay that make it their hobby to outbid you at the last minute, probably just to 'win'...
    Take care on the road . That truck is going to look great! I like the stance already.

12. padresag

padresag Member

13. 69Chev4by

69Chev4by Member

The mirror selection (like running boards, perhaps) is a matter of how & where you go. If you're cruising the streets, the chrome scene rules. If you're going to the outback, you better have things that fold up and are ready for abuse. A tricked-out pickup (whatever generation) always looks good, but after some time in the bush, the shiny things lose their lustre. Those fold-away mirrors are good for going between trees and rocks without bending or breaking.

One time, I passed a stalled big-rig against an on-coming vehicle with limited side clearance. We knocked mirrors at 60+ mph. My fold away instantly busted glass, but folded over without any other damage. It may not look as nice as those bigger chrome West Coast varieties, but there was no body damage.

14. drabo

drabo Member

If you don't want to drill any holes in your doors for mirrors install a set of peep mirrors. You can find them in street rod mags. And they make some larger ones that you can actually use.

15. knapmich

knapmich Member

16. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member