Motor info??

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by texascowboy, Dec 4, 2008.

1. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Hi guys I have been hanging 'round the 60-66& 73-87 site with two differnt projects. Anyway I have a motor which I believe is either a 397 or 350;
    here is the #3970010 looked on another site and it did not give alot of info. If you had to guess what would you say it is?? and is this a good motor to put into a 83 chevy p/u??? thanks in advance. any help is useful!!!

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

If I had to guess ???

it's a 327....

3. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

Considering a 396 is a big block I Highly doubt its That & Its Fairly simple to Tell the difference between a big Block & a small block , Valve Covers Being the First Obvious Sign. Big blocks Are A Little Flatter But Quite a bit wider .

Which Truck is The Moter in ?

Also I did a quick search & Found this info .

(1968 3970010 327 - - 2 bolt A )
    (1969-79 3970010 350 2 or 4 bolt car, truck, Vette )

Here is The Link that will Help You Further Identify Your Motor . You Might want to print it out, Some interesting info . But You,ll need the Other Vin # off the top of the right front top of the block .

Hope it helps. CB
    http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php

4. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:D: :D

thanks again guys ; the motor is not in any truck yet I'm getting ready to put it in a 83 p/u ; although it did come out of a 74 p/u if this helps.
    My uncle said it might be a 327 also, I honestly dont know much about this block dealt mostly w/350's ; is this a good block?? Its already to go , I took it out of the 74 running; hopefully all I have to do is put it in my 83 put the small stuff back on it and fire it over. yeah how many times has that happened?? :eek:
    also will it hook up to the tranny like a 350??

thanks again!!!

5. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

Howdy TC, If its out of a 74 , I doubt its a 327 , I,D bet its a 350, & More then likely a 4 bolt main , As Far as it Bolting up to a 350 or 400 turbo. There Shouldn,t be any Problem there . As They all are Pretty much the same .

Even some of the Pontiac & Oldsmobile Trannys will work as They have a Dual bolt pattern on the trans Bellhousing . & Yes There very good motors , Best of luck. CB

6. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

What's ^ cowboy357??? I looked at the valve covers and they are real skinny; even compaired to a 350 , gonna go look at the other #s tommorw and then I'll know for sure. :D
    thanks for the info!!!!!!!!
    4 bolt is better built right?? been awhile since I have had a 4 bolt.

7. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

Can You Take a Few Pics of it TC. & On the Valve covers when You say these are Real skinny Compared to a 350. Could it be That this has stock Metal valve covers & Yer comapring Them to Aftermarket aluminum ones . They can Tend to Give that appearence. is the Only thing I can think .

As Far as The 4 Bolt. Sure its better having a 4 bolt Main cap, But Very seldom Necesary unless under Extreme torque loads . Thats Why The Mainly put the 4 bolt blocks in trucks. Mostly for Pulling Heavy loads & such. CB