Mufflers and New Headers

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ronaldg, Oct 8, 2011.

1. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Fentons: :)
    Flowmasters: :confused:

Never have liked Flowmasters. They sound like a boat motor that exhausts under the water.

Smithys or Cherry Bombs with full length pipes are much better, IMO.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fentons & Flowmasters

Fentons reduce available power on daily drivers , they're a racing header and so don't provide good midrange exhaust scavanging .

If you just want noise and lots of it , use them but be ready to be left behind by the true Stovebolt enthusiasts who'll have more power on tap .

Flowmasters are a tuned muffler that require more flow than an InLine 6 can provide , yes they'll uncork your exhaust system , no they won't sound good like they do on any V-8 ~ the pleasant Basso-Profundo rumble of the 350 SBC will be transformed into a nasty buzzing / blatting sound that'll piss off everyone for two blocks , even my son the racer didn't like his Flowmasters on any thing but his V-8's and yes , he tried , took 'em off again .

If you like the rapping sound , take the time to find some really long glasspacks , Smitty's for example , over 29" long , you'll like that .

L6 engines require careful exhaust setp and muffler selection to sound good .

Or , you can simply run one single open pipe and they'll sound very nice if a bit loud at Highway speed .

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Or you could put a set of custom made 1 off Stainless steel Fender well headers on....Woooo Hoooo..:eek:..Big Tim :cool: tims pics 026.jpg

5. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

The Fenton headers are the gold standard of improved flow of exhaust gasses from the motor & they improve horsepower across the board by 10% + .

If you want a loud raspy rapping sound use 1" or 1 1/2" exhaust straight pipes with no mufflers.:eek:

If you want a mid range sound use 2" pipe with Cherry Bombs.

If you want a smooth tone.... use 2" pipe with glass packs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. Purec4

Purec4 Member

I want those!!!:D:D

7. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Just Sayin',

I've got a brand new, never been installed set of Fenton's for a 235. Kain't Give'm away but I'll make them a good deal. Very close to Kingsport TN...in Greeneville TN.

Flashlight

8. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

Why dont you like Fentons

Please let me know whats wrong with Fenton headers

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member