Muncie 3 speed

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Larrys 48, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Anyone know a source or part number for the side cover gasket on a 3 speed? The local Napa warehouse doesn't have 3 speed manual transmission catalogs anymore. :eek:

2. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

3. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Get ready to bend over...a few months ago I needed just the Airhorn Gasket for a Rochester Carb. I had the part number and everything. Local FLAPS and others would not order it.

Sorry, its only available in the rebuild kit they'd say, but I'll have the kit in the am for $16.99....for the $2.00 gasket. Play the game, I guess.

Flashlight

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Larry, I thought Classic Parts had you covered until I read the fine print just now. Their gasket "set" doesn't come with the side cover gasket. It says "you'll have to make one..."

You might try Chevs of the '40's. They normally have hard to find stuff.

Ken

5. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Transmission gasket

Larry, Motion Auto Supply has them in a full kit...at least they did last summer, in stock at their downtown store. Northside phone number is 489-9731. Part number is MK14005 for the kit. IIRC it was $15 or so, kit only, not sold separately.

Bob

6. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

A good size chunk of gasket paper costs only abt. 6.00
    That and a sharp razor blade and youre in business.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

! Whoa !

Let's not get all hasty & excited here ~ go to FLAPS & buy a tube or aerosol can of " The Right Stuff " by Permatex and make a tiny hole in the tip , wire brush all the old gasket off both the tranny side and the cover plate , wet a rag with ether (starting fluid , dig) & wipe until it's clean & dry on both sides then lay a narrow bead of The Right Stuff (really , this is it's name) around the gasket surface of the tranny , going outside of the threaded bolt holes , now ever so carefully insert the shaft forks correctly and offer up the side cover , install two cover bolts diagonally and run them up with your fingers , test shift the levers to make sure the shift forks didn't slip , it's all good ? (I knew it would be) , install the rest of the cover bolts and run them up by finger then tighten correctly , don't over tighten , by the time you have the tranny back in and the drive shaft installed & clutch adjusted (don't forget to grease the clutch fork's pivot bolt) , The Right Stuff will be dry , fill the tranny with good quality synthetic gear oil and let it settle for 20 minutes , top up until it burps out the filler hole , you're good to go .

I hope you remembered to order up and install a 1/2" NPT magnetic drain plug...

If not , no worries, DO IT NOW and install it in the filler plug's hole and marvel at how much SWARF it collects in two months of driving...

The Rochester 1BBL air horn gasket *is* available from any NAPA store , I just bought two for $1 each , I was thinking about posting up the part # but everyone always called me a stupid , nervous old man because I sweat the small stuff like air horn gaskets , lock washers , harness clips and on and on and....

FWIW , NAPA uses Victor - Reintz gaskets and they have an OnLine Gasket Catalog you can look up your own gaskets in....

I hope this helps , if not ,what did you expect for free advice ? :D .

8. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Yeah, there's no doubt that the folks here at my NAPA could have gotten those gaskets, I even had the numbers for them. But why sell a dollar item when you can BS a customer into a $20 item.

Nate, FWIW, I read some of these blogs just to get your insight on the subject. You have helped most everyone on here. Including most of the Ghost viewers. I especially enjoy your responses when your sick and on cough medicine. Is that a home recipe' you have there?

Flashlight

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I have gotten 2 sets of side cover gaskets from NAPA, the kit has the cover gaskets, rear gaskets, etc.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Uh , Oh ~

Did I do bad yet again ? :rolleyes: .

I always try to remember to remind all that my advice is free and worth maybe 1/2 that much.....

I buy the cheapo cought syrup from The .99 CENTS Store...

When I'm coughing up sa storm , I see spots and nearly pass out , God alone knows what gaffes I make in my Tech Writing .