Mustang II IFS

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by babailey, Oct 6, 2010.

1. babailey

babailey Member

OK, I am ready to tear the truck down for the winter. One of the projects I intend to tackle is Mustang II IFS. So, as usual, I have a few questions for those of you who have done this.....

I see kits ranging from $1,200 to $2,500 that are specifically intended to be used in a 1959 Chevy truck. Since I have only seen these online, I can not truly compare the various kits except to pass an opinion on the pictures. Does anyone have a suggestion of "THE" kit to purchase?

I already have a 5 lug, disk brake setup mounted on dropped spindles, should I attempt to find a kit that does not have pre-packaged disk brakes and spindles, or would that set me up for alignment issues?

Thanks!

2. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

On my 54 Chevy pickup I used a Jim Mayer cross member set up. I recommend this because it uses GM Spindles, calipers and rotors. The steering is either a Mustang non power rack or a T bird power rack. It also uses tubular A arms with aircraft rod ends instead of rubber bushings, Avo coil over shocks and a sway bar. As you can see in the pix the truck sits very low but can be raised 2" with no problem. The ride is stiff and the handling is excellent. If you are just looking to upgrade your ride and you want to save $$$, then I recommend the 74 to 80 Camaro front clip. This clip works best because of the front steer and keeps the steering column up out of the way as opposed to the rear steer which puts the steering column down low between your feet. This can be installed in a weekend if you know what you are doing and the clip can be found usually for around 150.00. This will give you power steering, disk brakes and V8 motor mounts. Sometimes it's even better to buy the whole car cheep and use everything you can get your hands on for your build and sell the rest. I hope this helps......Big Tim:cool:

3. babailey

babailey Member

I had not looked into replacing the entire front clip and I had no idea they could be found that cheap. I will spend some time looking at junk yards around here and see what I can find. Something like that could really help my budget :D!

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148978 Here's a link that might help you with what you are doing....Big Tim :cool:

5. babailey

babailey Member

I'm still looking for a Camaro front clip. I have found a few in the area for $250 but I have not had time to personally go look at any of them.

I am still gathering information on this process and would love to hear from other folks about their experiences doing this.