mustang II

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by jarhead46, Dec 18, 2006.

1. jarhead46

jarhead46 Member

I just put a Mustang II front end in my 57 chevy big widow. I bought the kit from Speedway motors and before I purchased it I spoke with one of their techs about it lowering the front of my truck and he assured me by him sending the 500 rate springs it should ride close to stalk height. Well after I got it welded in and installed the front clip it lowered my truck almost four inches. I called the company back and was told all their kits are designed to lower the truck. He then told me the only way to raise my truck was to go with coilover shocks of which I can't afford right now. But by looking at the truck when it sets on the tires the lower A arms actually run up to the spindles. Would I just be able to go to a longer coil spring and longer shocks? I only want to raise it about two inches. I bought a set of rubber circular spring spacers from Jegs that fit above the spring in the spring cap. They are about an inch thick but then my shocks are too short. Any help would be appreciated

Mike

2. 57 restomod

57 restomod Member

Well, I guess he figured 4" was pretty close to stock? Looks like a matter of tell them what they want to hear to make the sale.
    As for your options now I'd get some more advice on longer springs or different spindles. I don't see how coil over springs would help. I'd get more info from other sources (like you're doing), then go back to Speedway and get some satisfaction. They're not being straight with you.
    Another option would be to lower the rear to match the front.

3. bill55

bill55 Member

The mustang front end is intended to lower your truck and your lower control arms should be paralell to the ground. You don't have the correct weight rated coil spring. Coilovers are adjustable and would correct this, however you can buy or exchange with the company that sold you the kit, the correct rated springs. Did they ask you what engine size you have, small or big block, trans etc. this info they need in determining the correct spring rate.