My 65'

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by texascowboy, Nov 4, 2008.

1. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:eek:

Okay I took some pictures of my truck; but you have to go to the photos area to look at it cant figure out how to get it here.
    Look under my name "texascowboy" and let me know what you think??
    Yeah I know it still needs some work, but hey I'm closer than I was five yrs. ago. :D:D

So lets here it. :)

2. 283 man

283 man Member

nice 65 you have

3. 283 man

283 man Member

this 2 are mine and the 63 father and son project LILBLUE 63 I love every 60-66 Chevy/Gmc trucks best trucks:cool: mine needs work too but one day at a time..:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

[​IMG]

Nice !!

5. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:D thanks for the comment ; yours dont look that bad either, at least they are in one pieice , when i got mine the hood and fenders were in the bed .
    I still have to put the steps on it and then do some more body work.

6. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:D:D Thanks for the comments still gotta lot of work to do ; body work and then paint , but at least now I can drive it. :cool:

Hey, Val whats up???? I found the problem with my blinker, the pieice in the sterring column was busted ; got one on order also might have to replace bearings in the column they are really loose . is this simple ??

7. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I had the same problem when first got mine. I found it "simpler" ( is that a word?), to replace the column. ;)

I found a rebuilt tilt column out of an early van, ( no ignition key in the column ), for $130 at a swap meet.
    I later replaced that one with a Billet Specialties when a buddy ordered the wrong length for his 33 panel truck.

Anyone have any experience replacing column bearings?

Val

8. 62 short step

62 short step Member

Nice truck!

9. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

i did my bearings when i did the power steering conversion. not hard at all, my only problem is that the new upper bearing still has side to side play. that was awhile back so ill try to remember, pull the steering wheel and all the turn signal parts, undo the column shaft at the coupler by the rag joint, pull the column shaft out, replace bearings, and go back together. if need more info let me know.

10. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Big boo bo

:eek::eek:

Its not the bearings in the column ; its the bearings right under the sterring wheel itself that are looks like to me part of the blinker switch.does that make sense? took apart the blinker switch and it looks like it is'nt makeing good contact when you use the right sice blinker ;cause when I push on it and push the little metal pieaces togather it works. So now I'm trying too figure out how to get it too work. :confused:

11. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

the bearing below the turn signal is the upper column bearing, theres only two in the whole column. i had the same contact problem you are having, i bent the metal contacts just enough so it would make contact without having to hold the handle tightly.

12. 283 man

283 man Member

Years back had same problem to on my 66 so I done same thing 66 KUSTOM is decribing:D must be factory thing???:)

13. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Problem fixed!!

:eek: Tried to fix problem now its "fubr" ;)
    Had it working with a little tin foil ;but then it lost contact again and this time I added a little too much pressure and snap!!! Whole thing crumbles, stupid me !! LOL!! Anyway got lucky found a guy out here that had a 66 and he let me have{no charge} the piece I needed plus some little other things.
    :D Really nice guy seems a bit ugh; off, but good guy. Told him about my problem and he told me " ya see that cab off that old 66' out yonder ; make yourself at home". I really did try to pay him but he said that in todays society its good to see a young man like myself with a hobby. He is truley a nice guy. You dont find many people like him anymore. Anyway got all lights working and going first thing mon. morn. to get her inspected!!
    Wife said its about time I got that thing going ;glad its done! Oh how little does she know!!! :cool:
    Sorry for the long read but, I had to share.

Texascowboy

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  14. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

[​IMG]

I saw a recent post you placed on the "Help me choose a motor" thread. You're truck sure looks good with the old school red oxide!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

A Helping Hand

I'm well pleased to see you got this sorted out .

I try to help out when I can too , I think there's far more good folks out there than bad , they're just not making any noise nor tooting thier own horns.....