napco

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by dcland, Oct 2, 2000.

1. dcland

dcland Member

I have a 1960 panel truck, which is 4 wheel drive. I have been told it has a napco conversion, that was done right from the dealer and is considered original. Can anyone tell me how to determine that this is in fact a "factory 4 wheel drive" the
    serial number is oc1450 which leads me to believe it started out as a 2 wheel drive. Thanks for any help

2. Rick

Rick Member

Yes for it to be a factory 4 wheel drive it should have a "k" where the "c" is

RICK
    tech2@chevyduty.com

3. dcland

dcland Member

I have heard from several others, including a few dealers that have informed me that it could be an original 4x4. According to them it would have been titled at the factory (the c in the title) and had the napco added after, by the dealer which was considered factory. So it still maybe a true original 4x4. But thanks for your time.

4. Craig

Craig Guest

The truck could have been ordered as a two wheel and delivered.And then it was sent to Napco to be converted.So it would haven't had a K designation.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

5. zgoat

zgoat Member

gm produced it,s 4x4 in 1956 it was idenified by letter k.
    if you want more info on napco check out motorbooks.com

zgoat

6. BIGBLOCKGMC555

BIGBLOCKGMC555 Member

GM started producing their own 4x4's in 1960. Any 4x4 made before 1960 was a NAPCO truck.The truck was NOT sent to NAPCO's factory, however NAPCO sent a crate with all the parts to the dealership for them to install. The truck is still a factory 4x4.