Nate, where are you?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 52wasp, Nov 2, 2015.

1. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Haven't heard from you in awhile... hope you are OK

2. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

I was thinking the same thing.

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Anybody have his number by chance, or live near him?
    Thanks

4. Chiro

Chiro Member

I have his cell number. I will shoot him a text after the sun gets warm in Cali today.

Andy

5. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Andy, any luck?

6. Chiro

Chiro Member

Got really busy last two days. Slipped my mind and haven't been on forum. will try to remember today.

7. Zig

Zig Member

Just like Ken's50~ The disappearing act?
    Say it ain't so.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Sage advice and salty wit.... Nate, where you be?

_____
    John #confused#

9. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Ken and I had lunch last Friday. He didn't look any worse than usual.

Zig likes this.
  10. Zig

Zig Member

You sure that wasn't a cardboard cutout of him? Did he (excuse me... hahahahahahahaha) drive his truck there?

11. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Yes, and you know better Zig.

Zig likes this.
  12. Zig

Zig Member

Well fiddlesticks~ I'm one of those that dare to dream, Bill.

13. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

The new forum format...
    I'm thinking Nate doesn't like the new format... These are his words,

This new format plain sucks .

I miss to subject box and the emoticons too , it's harder to read anything (mostly older folks here) .

I hope these changes don't wind up driving me off this great (BEST !) old truck forum .

vwnate1, Sep 22, 2015

Nate, I hope you reconsider. It is really not all that bad. The moderators have worked through a lot of the problems, and, it seems to be OK now.

Steve.

14. Chiro

Chiro Member

Right you are Steve. I spoke to Nate today and he is indeed upset about the new format and after several attempts at it has decided to give it up. You know, I have to agree with him. Both Nate and I are on several online forums. I have seen format changes take place just for the sake of changing the format. sometimes the changes actually do improve the forum and sometimes they do not. In the case of this particular forum I think the changes really have done very little to improve it if at all. You know, there is a saying that goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". This forum was not broken. I believe now it is.

I also saw this with the HAMB forum. Lot's of changes took place and I really am not happy with them over there either. Many features were lost and splitting the HAMB forum up between hot rods and customs has diluted it in my opinion. There used to be a great "tech archive" on that forum that was completely lost when they made the changes as well. It was a great and convenient archive of tech articles from many members about many different aspects of building hot rods. All gone in the new format.

This new format here just plainly is not all that great an improvement from what I can see. Why not go back to the familiar forum that we have all been happy with for so many years? Were there that many people clamoring for change? Is that why it was done? Or was it just done for the heck of it? Administrators please chime in.

Andy

15. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Well,
    Andy, please tell Nate that as long as he is OK, I feel better. He has been a prolific poster, then nothing...
    Think about it, if one of us were abducted by aliens, who would know? Many of us don't know other forum-goers personally, so if 52WASP were to stop posting, besides the fact that Zig could slack on finishing his ride, and Steve would have to split the extra steak with Zig, little would be different. Zig is also the only person on here I have spoken to personally. The remainder of you could be bored housewives living an alter ego! (I know I am, pictures of old trucks are easy to find on the interwebs)

Nate however, has contributed MUCH here. He will be missed, AD-newbies will have to mine his old posts for knowledge.

Maybe there is some "middle ground" where the Moderators could use the new "system", but have it contain all the desired features of the OLD forum. I miss the subject line too.

16. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

We have lost several active posters...
    Sinclair Chevy, Damon,...Russ, who said his laptop died...The guy from, Norway?...,Ken's 50...among others.
    Some do occasional "drive bys", like Coach.
    Forum participants come and go, but, these guys had a lot to contribute.
    Some can be found elsewhere, like that big 67-72, place...if you can stand all the rules, and, you haven't been barred for life:(. I seem to get along with this one, but, did not really see any reason to change it.

That's funny! Mike, but, I get e-mails in my spam box from those bored housewives...and I don't think they want to talk about old trucks.

Steve.

17. Nick

Nick Administrator Staff Member

Hi everyone--

I'd like to take a moment to address your concerns about the change. It is of course our intention to keep the forums easy and fun for everyone to use. I apologize that I have fallen short on that so far.

The decision to move to a different format (or rather, in the context of this post, the software that powers the forums) was largely based upon technical reasons. The previous software had been end-of-life for several years, which presents some potential maintenance challenges; in particular, any bugs (including security-related bugs--very dangerous to leave around!), if found, would no longer be fixed. The software also depends on other software which would have the same challenges. In short, while the software was working, as time went on I felt less and less comfortable that I could continue to rely on it. I'm not much of a fan of change myself either, but sometimes change can be hard to avoid, and hopefully in the end it turns out to be for the better.

In looking for a replacement, we wanted something that could be used in a relatively familiar way. There are several forum software packages out there to choose from. We thought this one would be the best fit, and from reading around online, it seems like a lot of other forum admins agree. In addition, the developers of this software (a very small team of people) were some of the same people who were lead developers of the previous software.

It's not only about getting away from unsupported software--there are what I'd consider significant improvements as well. One thing that immediately comes to my mind is what web designers usually call "responsive design", which means that the pages adjust well to various window/screen sizes and shapes. A major benefit of this is that if you ever browse the forums on a smartphone or tablet, things will be much more readable. We've seen a large and continuing increase in mobile traffic, so I thought this would be an important improvement for a lot of you, though I do realize not everyone uses or prefers mobile devices.

I'd like to also offer up this as an option (click it to enlarge):
    xfvb3.png
    It's this site, on the new software, but with a design that mimics the previous software closely. It's available right now if you want to try it. You can choose whichever design you prefer--when logged in, click your username near the top-right (or top) of your screen, click Preferences on the menu that appears, make a selection in the "Style" menu at the top of the window that appears (the previous site design is called "Classic"), and click Save Changes at the bottom. Feel free to let me know what you think.

In closing, thank you everyone for all your input. Please keep the comments and suggestions coming while you have them, and we'll do our best to keep these forums a place you can enjoy. Thanks for sticking with us.

P.S. Does anyone remember when the forums looked like this? :) It would have been up until about July 2006 (and it said Chevy Duty up until just before then).
    dcforum.png

18. Chiro

Chiro Member

Hi Nick,

Thanks for listening. I'm going too try that first thing in the morning. I hope everyone else will too...including Nate. I will give him another call once I figure out how to do it and walk him through it.

I understand how software becomes obsolete, especially with new operating systems coming along every couple of years. I've had it happen in my business too and it always creates some kind of learning curve for everyone.

Andy

19. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

I like the classic style much better ! Thanks!

20. Zig

Zig Member

I'm getting okay with the new here. This has always been the only site I visit and I owe my rolling rig's success to the advice of those from this site.
    We have lost a lot of members before this change, so I guess that is just the ebb and flow.
    Ken, Britt 50, Tailgater, Mel's 50, etc, etc. Some are here for the build and after they get it rolling, they're gone too.
    I'm glad for those that still get on here and share their projects/friendship. Hopefully the new option will bring some back.

mobileortho likes this.