Need a Painter

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 51papy, Jan 22, 2006.

1. 51papy

51papy Member

Hi folks, I finally got back in the shop and am trying to spray some primer and it's not going or rather staying on. Same setup I used last summer. When the problem began I bought a water seperator, that did not solve the problem. I shot primer last night with a new air hose and it went on and stayed. I sanded it and did some body work sprayed this afternoon and all the primer on the doors came off in ribbons clear to the metal. When all this started I thought it was surface prep but not sure now. I cleaned with lac thinner until rag was clean and the first coat was stuck good. Running a 15year old black max oiless compressor older Binks cup gun and yes I drain my air tank and seperator everytime before I start. I would love for someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks fot the help

51Papy
    Mike

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sounds like your compressor is passing oil mist through the hose , I've always been told to _never_ use an oilless typ compressor to paint...

I dunno but the primer coming off in sheets sure sounds like oil in the line to me .
    -Nate

3. 51papy

51papy Member

thanks Nate I was afraid of that. Sounds like it maybe time for a new compressor.

51 Papy
    Mike

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Clean Air

You might simply try running a 10' tall vertical run right out of the compressor with a T and water drain at the bottom then add a _good_ quality inline glass bowl typ of filter at the working end of the air supply pipe , if you're connecting the paint gun directly to the compressor , do this regardless as you'll need to do it on the new compressor too .

Hot air is bad for pneumatic tools and painting too .

-Nate

5. 51papy

51papy Member

RE: Clean Air

Thanks Nate I have the glass bowl seperator up as high as I can get it. About 7 foot working in the basement right beside the exhaust fan. It's to cold here in Kansas to work in an unheated shop all winter. I'll try the pipe just have hose (new) run up to it now.

51 Papy
    Mike

6. 53v6

53v6 Member

Hello what kind of primer are u using?

7. 51papy

51papy Member

Kind of slow to reply sorry.
    I'm using red oxide sandable from O'Reily's #8402. I've had no trouble with it until this winter.
    51papy
    Mike

8. sevenpets0

sevenpets0 Guest

Don't know where you live in Kansas. I am in the KC area. If you wind up needing a compressor I have a 3.5 hp coleman unit that I am selling for $75. Have shot a lot of primer with it and no problems.

9. 51papy

51papy Member

Thanks for the offer. I'm south of KC about 40 miles. Think I'm going to hold out and buy a 60 gal. I've never been impressed with this black max when i was painting or sand blasting. Electrical in either shop is not a problem. Plus new excuse to go buy DA,impact,ect. Thanks again

51 papy
    Mike