Need advice (brakes, axel seals, bearings)

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by sinerasis, Aug 3, 2007.

1. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I need a little advice... normally I would work at this in the driveway myself but I don't have the time, the tools, or a place to do this so I feel like I'm in a jam as I need to have this done.

Truck is: 77 C10 Stepside, factory 6cyl but I have a 305 in there, 700r4 trans. The only option I think this thing has is the heavy duty brakes (they are 1.25" wide in the front).

Here's the situation:

The rear brakes are GONE. I've known this for a little while, I just don't have the resources to do anything about it right now. As you can expect they are getting worse and worse... so I took it into a place to have them check everything out and give me a quote and a rundown.

They say that the axel seal on the passenger side is blown, which usually means a bad bearing. The bearings should be replaced together. So to fix both bearings, the seals, and get just the rear brakes done (which includes new shoes, turned drums, and any hardware needed, plus a flush and refill of the fluid) they quoted me about $600.

I asked them to check the front brakes while I was there (I didnt think anything was wrong but I wanted a second opinion).

They say they look fine, but they are going to need to be replaced soon. The rotors will also need to be replaced (from the sound of it they have been turned already). They also put down new calipers in the quote, and I'm not really sure why. On any of the cars I had previously I would change out rotors and pads as needed, but never even thought to get new calipers. Is this normal for these trucks?

For everything I was quoted just under $1000.

Like I said I would normally do this myself and just spend money on parts (and all my time struggling with the labor), but I don't have a spot or the tools right now. What do you guys think? Am I getting a fair quote? I haven't been able to get any additional quotes, but plan on it early next week. I have an appointment set up for next friday (7 days from today) with the first place to get the rear done. Advice appreciated.

2. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

When you get the other quotes, I'd ask them to show me the parts they want to replace and tell me why.

My sister almost got burned by something like this when my parents bought a new set of tires for her '98 C2500. The shop wouldn't do an alignment because "it needed new ball joints, TRE's, and A-arm bushings"; $1300 parts and labor. Luckily they brought it back home and I inspected it, found only one bad ball joint, everything else checked out fine; 4 new ball joints were less than $200 plus free labor.;) Afterwards they found new stuff it "needed" to get an alignment.:rolleyes: I don't really trust shops anymore.

Unless there is obvious damage to the calipers or it's bleeder screws, I don't see why they would need more than a rebuild.

3. lowbucktruck

lowbucktruck Member

My suggestion... get a second opinion. Is this a shop you have done business with before? I hear what you are saying, the extent of brake work that your truck needs will help you decide if you want to just pay a shop to do it for you. I do most of the work on my C10 myself.

I have the ENTIRE brake system on my ole' 1973 C10 3/4 ton redone, including replacement of the master cylinder (which was vacating and shot) for $900 at Midas. But I did not need new front calipers or rotors. That job included repair of my rear drum brakes.

My 2 cents.

4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

well for the $1000 .00 how much is labor, and how long did they say it would take to do.?

Do the pep boy or other big parts stores there where you are lone out tools.

I bet you could knok off $500. buck off bye doing it your self.

What parts are they getting new and or rebuilding on the brakes job.