Need Help Identifying '49 GMC Part

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ltcmikem, Jul 22, 2005.

1. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

I'm new to this forum and the new owner of a '49 GMC 3/4 ton pickup. Picked it up from an estate sale. My first efforts have been aimed at changing all the fluids and doing a lube job. In the process of doing that I have had the front of the vehicle up on those small portable drive-on ramps. A couple days after the truck had been up on the ramps, I found two identical small, rubber blocks on each side of the driveway where I had been working. The blocks measure 2" square, flat on one end and wedge shaped on the other... kind of like a short, cubby door stop. The blocks also have an off center hole 3/4" in diameter running through them from the flat side to the wedge shaped side. I checked under the truck hoping to find something like a shiny spot on the frame or suspension that might have indicated where the blocks came from, but no luck. I then started searching through vintage car parts catalogs hoping to find a similar part. The closeest I found was a picture of some small rubber blocks which were identified in the catalog as "Axle bumper stops, front, rubber". However, looking at my truck, I found it had small rubber axle bumper blocks bolted to the top of the leaf springs between the axle and frame on both sides.

A picture of the blocks I'm trying to identify can be seen at http://public.fotki.com/ltcmikem/ltcmikem/181_8193.html if it doesn't post successfully here.

I'm hoping someone on this forum will be able to help me identify and locate where these blocks/bumpers/spacers belong.

Mike

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Need Help Identifying '49 GMC P

Hm , that link isn't working right now , I'll have a look to-morrow @ work .

-Nate

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Huh ~ those look familiar , I'll have to ruminate on that .

Nice looking truck , sharp looking seat cover there too =:cool: .

A John Deere Model B ? wow cool , he had one and a model A too on the farm in New Hampshire when I was a kid , I recall rebuilding it one winter , painted it and everything . good tractors .

-Nate

4. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

Nate -

Thanks for giving this some thought. I've been plowing through the archives and came upon an old post you made responding to a question about replacing the front leaf springs. Included in your post was the comment "Don't forget the caster wedges that fit between the trailing edge of the front axle and the leaf spring , often they're gone missing or in front , or one in front & one behind , not good ." Is there any chance these might be the rubber blocks/wedges that I'm trying to identify?

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Caster Shims

No ~ those are smaller and made of metal , they look sort of like the wedges you used to hold hammer handles in place but larger .

-Nate

6. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

RE: Caster Shims

hummm... Rats!! You still pondering or have you cast me adrift? ;-)

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Wierd Rubber Things

My head must be out of order as they sure look familiar but won't come to mind ~ why not try posting it over on the StoveBolt Page and see what those guys think it is ? post back here if they know .

Sorry , want to know the cylinder head torque on a 1939 V.W. Beetle ? .

-Nate

8. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

RE: Wierd Rubber Things

Wilco... thanks again Nate.

9. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

RE: Mystery Part Identified

Nate's recommendation that I carry this puzzle to the Stovebolt Forum hit paydirt. If you see my post and the responses in the "General Truck Discussion" on the Stovebolt Forum you'll be entertained ... the solution didn't come without some embaressment for me. Bottom Line... the little rubber blocks are not part of the truck, they're the anti-skid blocks off the ramps I ran the truck up on. See the picture...
    http://public.fotki.com/ltcmikem/ltcmikem/182_8214.html

Thanks to Nate and everybody else who jumped in to give me a hand.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Don'cha just hate it when that happens ? :p

Glad you figgered it out , I've been scratching my head trying to figger it out ;)

-Nate

11. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

Nate -

You told me where to find the answer and in my book that's just as good as figuring it out for me... probably better A tip of my hat to you my friend and many thanks for pointing the way. :)