need help

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 76454, Apr 3, 2006.

1. 76454

76454 Member

I have a 76 c20 with a 454 and a turbo 400. About 2 years ago, it started to have problems shifting gears while driving. I couldn't feel it shift anymore, it would just rev up enough to fall into the next gear. So I parked it thinking that I would be able to fix it in a reasonable amount of time. Due to my own laziness and other financial obligations, I haven't touched it. I haven't even started it. It's sitting at my parents house. I didn't know at the time the "proper" way to store a vehicle, so I know that it's going to take a little prodding to restart the beast. My question is how to go about that. I've heard a couple of different techiniques from guys at work. I was also wondering if anyone had an idea about what is wrong with my tranny? I'm not sure if it's the tranny itself, or if the torque convertor took a dump. Once it is running, I plan to sell it as is for a parts truck or to someone who has the time any money to dig around and fix the main problem. Thanks for your ideas.

2. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

It's only been sitting for 2 years? no problem...if the battery still good than change the oil....pull the plugs crank it with the plugs out.. put the plugs back in and fire it up it's a chev don't worry...

3. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

Oh and get some fresh gas in her if she don't buck...i've seen cars run on gas that was 10 years old so .....it all depends....if it was sittin outside all those years....than put some fresh gas in it for startup

4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

As for the TRANS Did You CHANGE the OIL & FILTER When the last time.
    might be low too, or the bands are starting to wear out.

5. DJRolley

DJRolley Member

I just bought a 79 gmc that had been sitting since 1999 with fuel in the tanks, I went and got some STABIL and octane booster and 5 gallons of new fuel added all that to one tank hit the carb with some brake clean and cranked. It eventually fired from the fuel in the tank once the fuel pump reloaded the lines. let the fuel mixed with the addatives sit in the tank you are drawing off of for about a day before you try. While your waiting either charge the batt or get a good strong battery with plenty of cranking amps. when you do start cranking dont crank too long as you will burn up your starter, do it in spurts. Good luck!!!!!