Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by oldschoolJ, Aug 8, 2007.

1. oldschoolJ

oldschoolJ Member

ok my grandfather gave me and my brother a 1955 chevy truck. it has a 283 engine, nova 3speed (dont know what year they both came out of) and a plain 55 rear end. we plain to redo the whole truck. engine we want to do a lite performance on it. tranny have no clue, rear end i dont know what to do. i am new to chevy (im a aircooled vw guy) i know a little bit about gm stuff but not alot. i just want to if i should switch trannys and what should i do to the rear end and where i can get rearends and rear end gears.

thanks
    james

2. Chiro

Chiro Member

Which truck is it? first or second series?

3. oldblue64

oldblue64 Member

55 chevy truck

You have a great year for a truck.Its the first year for a v8 in the truck.If your truck was mine,I would get rid of the 3-speed and opp for a automatic.Lots of choices there.As far as the rearend,whats your top speed right now? Is the truck a stepside? I have a 64-chevy step side.It came with a 6 cyl.3-speed.S omebody put a 350 motor in it,but didnt change the rearend or tranny.Oh it will go fast from 0-60,but that it.I'm going to put a auto,and some different gears in it.Anyway it sounds like you got a good project there.Good luck!

4. oldschoolJ

oldschoolJ Member

5. oldschoolJ

oldschoolJ Member

i would but i dont know. i also have the 4speed tranny it came with and a 350 automatic tranny out of a chevy custom 10 truck (but needs to be rebuild) i was thinking about going to an automatic , but i love stick better. unless something changes my mind. as of engine im thinking about going with (since i have them when i got the truck) the three deuce set up rot. 2gc's. mild cam. rebuild the motor ( its been sitting for 55 years). ill see it again this sat. hopefully .

6. billybones

billybones Member

Hmmmm. Just looked at your pics and it's not a 55. 53 or 54 maybe?? Cool truck anyway!!

I love stick too, and am putting in a 1982 Chevy 3spd overdrive in my 62. Looks just like a chrysler 4 spd. This way I can still shift gears and have overdrive for the mileage. Not many people know about these trannys and it took a while to find a shifter. Putting it in soon.

7. billydonn

billydonn Member

I'm not expert on the 50s trucks but I can tell you this: you will never fully enjoy the ride without an overdrive transmission. If staying stick... I think those 3 spd overdrives are pretty rare, but a good idea. If you have the dough it's Tremec TKO (I LOVE mine). Automatic means 700R4.

Of course getting the suspension/brakes right is a must even before the tranny/engine.

8. coilover

coilover Member

If it has an open driveshaft it IS a 55, the first series. The 55 second series was the square 55-59 style. If you warm up a V8 and like a standard you should use the later (67 up) tranny. It is fully synchronized and much stronger. Being the first series, which just had a 6 cyl., you will need to get a mount kit from someone like Chassis Engineering or fab up your own. Good luck.