need info on motor

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by mavrick_jlr, May 15, 2002.

1. mavrick_jlr

mavrick_jlr Member

i have a 86 olds cutlass im pulling the motor and tranny out of for my 58 chevy.I beleive it has a chevy 305 in it.looking at the block it looks like it has smog( or something like it ) lines going into the block next to the spark plugs.can i get rid of everything on the block and start fresh with 305 parts off other block or chrome parts(aftermarket high performance parts).It has the oil fill connected to the front of the engine around the timing chain.Need some help from someone who is familiar with these motors in the cars.???

2. LostinAl35986

LostinAl35986 Member

You might want to go to mortec.com the info. is pretty good and at the bottom of the page you can click on (Chevy V-8 casting numbers ) It should give you what you need . LostinAl35986

3. LostinAl35986

LostinAl35986 Member

Try going to mortec.com the info. is pretty good and at the bottom of the page click on Chevy V-8 casting numbers.LostinAl35986

4. jaybird67

jaybird67 Member

What you probably have is a 307 in that cutlass of yours. 305's were pretty rare in those days on oldsmobiles.One way to tell is to look at the eighth digit of the VIN of the car, I believe that the 307 is a "Y" code and the 305 is a "M" but I'm not positive. I'll double check today at work for ya'...

5. mavrick_jlr

mavrick_jlr Member

it is a 307 roller engine.Im going to sell it because the rebuild kit for it consist of roller cams rockers lifters and the total will be 534 just for the kit not to mention having it bored out.just didnt have that much experince with olds motors.