Need rims/have fender available

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Masher, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Masher

Masher Member

I have a '59 Apache 3/4Ton step side with a Ford rear end and Ford rims 16X6" 8 lug, but I want to use original style Chevy hub caps which do not fit on the ford rims. I need to find 5 each Chevy rims 16 X 6" 8 lug so that I can use my Chevy caps. I know that I will need to enlarge center hole to fit over Ford rear axle. I am willing to swap or buy. Also have a very good original left rear fender off same available. Non spare tire style. No rust and only minor dings. Maybe someone has another solution to my problem? :eek:

2. ljw

ljw Member

if you want to use original wheels and caps,maybe you should switch back to a chevy rearend to solve the problem?

3. Masher

Masher Member

Hey Lee, If Chevy rear end came w/CHEVY RIMS my problem would be solved, BUT THEY DON"T, OK? Besides Ford rear end higher geared allowing me to keep up w/traffic on interstate here in Oklahoma 75 MPH! Something Chevy rear end would not let me do.x( I appreciate your try but I still need to find Chevy rims, thank you.

4. ljw

ljw Member

they made plenty of chevy rearends with 3.07 gears with which you could drive 100 mph if you felt like it.

5. Masher

Masher Member

Hi Lee, I thank u 4 taking such in interest in my problem, but again rims do not come w/rear ends, I wish they did! Also, while there are many chevy rear ends w/higher gear ratios, none for a 3/4 ton would allow wheels to fit within fenders. That is y I went with the narrower Ford rear end. All the high geared 3/4 t Chevy rear ends are much 2 wide. I would think the 16 X 6 inch 8 lug chevy rims I am searching 4 would not b impossible 2 find. I am now facing possiblity that I may have 2 give up on ever being able 2 have chevy hubcaps on my truck! Not due 2 lack of a chevy rear end as u keep suggesting, but due 2 inability 2 find Chevy rims. So again I beseech the Chevyland public in finding me the rims I need. Please.

6. millerd

millerd Member

Masher, I am working with a '58 Apache 3/4 ton, it has 16 inch 8-lug split rims. I am switching to Mustang II front end 5 on 4 3/4, ford rear end. So my split rims will be available, they do not have the hubcap clips, but you can get them. Feelings about split rims vary, if you check the forums you will get a good range of opinions; I've been running them for years w/o problems. Let me know if you are interested; non split rims at 8 lug, I think 15" are said to be around but very scarce. D.

7. Masher

Masher Member

Now we are on right track! Thanks. I am actually looking for non-split ring rims so as 2 b able to use modern tubeless tires. If not original rims, maybe some aftermarket rims of the size i need that takes original chevy hubcaps? Thanks Millerd, I appreciate you taking time 2 help. Just out of curiosity, are the rims u have on your '58 Chevy 16 inch or 16.5 inch? I thought they did not have 16 inch rims back then that were split rings.

8. DrMike

DrMike Member

Hey Masher,

Had the same trouble with a friends 3/4 ton a few years ago. He also went to the 9" Ford rearend for the good gear ratio.

We took his Chevy and Ford rims to a very reputable welder. Had the Chevy centers welded onto the Ford rims. Been running fine for more than 15 years now.

Hope this helps,

Dr.Mike

9. Masher

Masher Member

Thanks Dr Mike, But I don't have Chevy centers to weld 2 Ford rims. I hope 2 find Chevy rims and enlarge center hole to fit on Ford axle. I am just trying to retrofit so I can get my wheels looking as they should w/Chevy caps again. It is a shame Chevy didn't have better gearing in rearend back then. Probably accounted for many lost sales to Ford needlessly.

10. millerd

millerd Member

Masher, American Classic parts at http://www.americanclassic.com/ lists used 15" 8 lug clip rims as a "discontinued" item, I've pasted in the info from their on-line catalog:

U-WH03047 1947-62 Wheel rim, 8 lug clip wheel, 3/4 ton, 15 inches x 7 inches, not split rim, Chevrolet or GMC, originally for 1955-59 but will fit 1947-62 for original hubcaps, used as is Discontinued

So there are some of these out there, at least at 15 inch. A yer or so ago I tried to locate some of these, but with no success. Good luck to you, David

11. Masher

Masher Member

Thanks David, I checked them out. Good site I'm sure will come in handy in future, but they do not seem to have any rims currently offered. I have come to realization that rims I have been searching for for so long just plain do not exist and have come to accept the fact that my pickup will in all probability never again have Chevy hubcaps unless I go back to split ring rims and bias ply tires. Thanks to everyone who have tried to help.