need swap help/advice

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 83 4x4, Oct 10, 2001.

1. 83 4x4

83 4x4 Member

I have a '83 1/2 ton with a 350 and I am going to put in a 454 out of a '79 C20 and like to know if the '83 sm. blk. motor mounts will work with the big blk? I was told that the support strut from the tranny inspection cover to the motor mount must be installed to keep from breaking the bell housing. I'm also going to rebuild the motor before putting it in my truck and I've never messed around with big blks. before and would like any help on what works and what does'nt as far as performance parts. I'm not wanting a "drag car" just want get the most out of the motor.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

2. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Member

As far as I know, the motor mounts will work with the BB. I have never had the strut on any of my past trucks and I never cracked a bellhousing.

As for rebuilding the BB it depends on what you want out of it. The sky's the limit with Chevy V8's. I would at least replace the bearings, rings, gaskets, camshaft, lifters and possibly the intake manifold. You can get a get a good starting point with a matched set from Edelbrock. You can pick up an intake, lifters and a cam for probably under $500. Then a engine rebuild kit for around $200.
    If it was me I would also take the heads to a machine shop to at least check for cracks. Unless you know the heads are good.

This should get you started with freshening up the motor.

Good luck and have fun rebuilding!

Zeppelin
    74 Blazer
    350/TH350/NP203; 6" Susp. lift; 35" TSL-SX
    Kayline Soft-top